Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people.
Me and dad started to build an all DIY aquarium 2 weeks ago.
measures 110X50X60 centimeter.
This is what we came up with untill now

theres still alot to do and i didnt even started to get the parts that keeps a normal aquarium running like CO2, lights, heaters, filters and much more.
but this just gives an idea of how it should look at the end.
I thought about giving up on the filter and build a DIY sump that will fit inside the cabinet, what is the smallest sump i can use for this size of tank?

Cheers. :drinkers:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Wow. Awesome.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dang! Stole my line!!

Although, I'd have said Plecostemus Felineous.... :cool:

...as for the sump, I think the general rule is to base it on one third the size of your main tank, so 100-110L should be about right.
Although, I can't see why you couldn't have something smaller, if you need to fit a small space. A few people believe that you can lose alot of your CO2 with a sump as it gasses off easily. Something to consider.

Nice work, btw!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all..
yeah iv heard about this problme with sumps thats why im still not so sure about it yet.

also what do you think about the tank itself?
some guys started to scare me saying the 3 supporters on the top are not enough and i should have used more.
what do you think? will this be enough? i whould not want it to crack on my head in the middle of the night :boom:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all
i need some help with the lightning issue...
i was looking around today for T5 and found out they are VERY expensive.
well not the lamp itself its more the electronic transformer (i belive its called) that is the problme.
6 36W T5s will coast me like 300$!!
and will only get me 216W for 330 liter tank which is not alot.

What do you think about these bulbs?
55T (or more) Daylight flourescent.
http://www.yinfo.co.il/eurolux/english/bigpicture.asp?cat=1&code=6#p

i cant put like 6 of them inside that will give me 330W for 330 liter tank.
will they do the work?
or i MUST have T5 for best reasults?

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'd recommend that you go with T5 HO which will help in going with a minimal number of bulbs due to it's tremendous light output. As for the bulbs, I'd recommend Giesemann Midday along with Giesemann AquaFlora for plants. With you being a handyman, I'd recommend that you get the ballasts, reflectors and the end caps for building the fixture yourself. Check out the DIY Section for the T5 HO custom build instructions.

As for using the CFL bulbs, I did think about building one myself, but due to the compact structure of the bulb build, the efficiency of the amount of light getting into the aquarium is low, even with the use of a reflector. If you calculate the amount of light that you need in the aquarium and do the efficiency math, I would assume that you'd come ahead with the T5 HO and with a good looking fixture too.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
345 Posts
What wpg were you aiming for? I only ask, because it looks like the 216w on 330L will be good for 2.5watts per gallon. Using 330w on 330L is closer to 3.8wpg. Will you need that much light?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ravi, i guess i should realy just put some more cash in it and go for T5 for maximum reasults.

i realy donty know if i need that much light... i never had a planted aquarium before but i read alot about it now and as i understood it should be 1 watt per one liter of water for best reaults... dosnt it?

·
Registered
345 Posts
It really comes down to what, exactly, you plan to grow. Some plants might require that sort of wpg (3.8 ), but (going on my own limited knowledge) I'd think 2.5wpg would be plenty for 90% of aquarium plants. One thing to remember, is that if you have alot of one particular growth element (say light), you need similar levels of the other elements, like fertilisers, CO2 and tank upkeep. Alot of light, with little CO2, ferts and upkeep would be a mess of algae. It all needs to equal out.

I reckon you'd be safe with the 2.5wpg. Especially if you've never had a planted tank and are just learning the ropes. I have a similar wpg on my 70L (2.6), with Flourish Excel and DIY CO2, and I need to trim the plants every two weeks!

Maybe someone with greater knowledge could correct me if I'm wrong...??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hello people.

These days i will be making my DIY substrate.
how tall does the fertilized layer should be? and the unfertilized (kvarz) layer should be?

also i want to make hills here and there.. should they be fertilized too or lets say a 5 inch hill could do with kvarz only?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Amirk, I use a sump system and highly recommend it. Numerous folks have shown that you can easily inject enough CO2 to keep up with the loss due to agitation in a sump. The two major benefits that I tell people about are 1. you can put heaters, thermometers, CO2 pickup/return lines in them e.g. NO equipment in the tank and 2. water level changes due to evaporation occur in the sump and not in the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amirk, I use a sump system and highly recommend it. Numerous folks have shown that you can easily inject enough CO2 to keep up with the loss due to agitation in a sump. The two major benefits that I tell people about are 1. you can put heaters, thermometers, CO2 pickup/return lines in them e.g. NO equipment in the tank and 2. water level changes due to evaporation occur in the sump and not in the tank.
hey adechazal..
Im sure you can inject enough CO2 to keep up with the agitation..
the question is how much CO2 am i going to need to do so.
i dont want be filling the it twice a week. what is the CO2 amount difference usage between an aquarium with a sump and without it?

anyway here are some pics of the hood in place, hope you like it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi.
I wanted to share with you guys some news from my tank.
Water, plants and hardscape was added and for now, this is how it looks like.
hope you like it.

First of all here is the DIY reactor my dad made.

and the DIY bubble counter.

and the tank.

Cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
Those rocks look amazing. Something about them say mountains in Utah.

Are you going to fill the reactor with bio balls?
Could you also give some details on how it was made?

What are your plans for a foreground?
glosso possibly

1 - 20 of 31 Posts