Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I recently discovered Amano tanks and got hopelessly hooked. Got my my first ever tank three weeks ago. Did a ton of research. Things are happening. Could use some help.

Tank: 38gal (36" long 12" wide 20" high)
Filter: Eheim Ecco 60gal
Heater: 150W
CO2: By Hagen - Natural Plant System (you can see it on the back wall)
Lighting: T5 2x49w primary, on for 8 hours, with 96W actinic/white option (OFF) and blue LED option (OFF)

Substrate: ADA Amazonia II, Powersand, Tourmaline BC, Clear Super, Bacter 100, Penac P, Penac W
Decor: Malaysian driftwood (right), South East Asian Driftwood (left), petrified wood
Fauna: Anubias, Echinodorus Osiris, Java Fern, Echinodorus amazonicus, Vallisneria Americana, Sagittaria Platyphylla, Cryptocoryne crispatula, Micro Sword, Moss Fern
Flora: (to be put in soon) 6 Neons/Cardials (need advice), 6 Serpae Tetra, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Bristlenose pleco. I might add some 5-6 Zebra Danios as well.

Fertilizers: Flourish Excel & Flourish Plant Supplement (could use dose & frequency advice)

Any advice would be appreciated. What would you change about the tank? Any plant or fish type advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks nice as!

I'd reconsider the fauna though. A nice long tank like that with big swimming space and malaysian wood deserves some harlequins - they're amazing schoolers and you could fit a ton of them in there. They'll mix nicely with penguin tetras and rummynoses too if you need some reds to pop out (in my experience rummys school much better than cardinals) not to mention they're a good 'mine canary' for your tank as the colour of their nose will let you know whats up with your water quality ;)

Also, as cool as plecos are, i've always been more partial to SAE's, they're smaller, they school, much more agile, and they'll eat just about any type of algae!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! What would you recommend for a foreground plant? Would you swap any plants out for red Rotalas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think adding Harlequins would be a great idea. Penguin tetras would work as well. I think I'll keep the cardinals, though - really like the color. How many would you add for a 38 gal tank? Would you take out the loaches? I liked them for how playful they are.

What are SAE's?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Siamese algae eaters. I'd reconsider the clown loaches though. They need large tanks and eventually will grow to around a foot each.

edit: I forget the site, but there is a loach site in general out there someplace that you should be able to find with a google search that has pretty much every species of loach out there and you could probably find a good substitute for the clowns there :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Great!!:rolleyes: Can't believe this is your 1st tank. I think some Blyxa japonica would be a great foreground plant.

If you want to go deep into fert here is a link.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/4241-pps-perpetual-preservation-systems-aquatic-plant.html

Dosing and where to buy is at:
http:
//www.bestaquariumregulator.com/dosing.html

I have seen tanks with luscious plant growth that have just injected Co2 and clip on lights. I wonder how your plants would grow without ferts.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Beautiful tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just looked up both plants – not as keen on Blyxa Japonica (looks a bit too tall) but definitely gonna add dwarf hairgrass to the foreground.

As far as fish – so are 2 SAEs better than one Bristlenose Pleco? Is there an alternative to a clown loach for the character, but not the size? I love their color as well and wondering if there's a smaller version of one out there?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would use otto cats instead of SAE. Get a school of them and amano shrimp.

Yoyo loaches are great they stay small and look awesome, better than clown loaches IMO.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just looked up both plants - not as keen on Blyxa Japonica (looks a bit too tall) but definitely gonna add dwarf hairgrass to the foreground.
I bought a plant labeled dwarf hair grass and it is 6 in tall. How about Sagittaria subulata? Mine is staying low to the ground and I have only 3wpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The journal continues!

Thank you all for the tips! I listened and decided not to gut the aquarium. I took out the dead plants, some algae, added many more plants and a new CO2 system and did a 40% change. Looks like it worked. The ammonia is down to one and my nitrite cycle is coming to the end. It seems tanks using Amazonia II take a lot longer to cycle. Check out the new weekly photo. Soon I will be adding fish. For algae control – SAE or Otos. Also, planning to three Botia Kubotai loaches later with Harlequins and Cardinals. What are the next steps you'd do now?

GP

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Otto and amanos all they way.

Sit back and enjoy, because you have a wonderful looking tank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts