Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I recently discovered Amano tanks and got hopelessly hooked. Got my my first ever tank three weeks ago. Did a ton of research. Things are happening. Could use some help.

Tank: 38gal (36" long 12" wide 20" high)
Filter: Eheim Ecco 60gal
Heater: 150W
CO2: By Hagen - Natural Plant System (you can see it on the back wall)
Lighting: T5 2x49w primary, on for 8 hours, with 96W actinic/white option (OFF) and blue LED option (OFF)

Substrate: ADA Amazonia II, Powersand, Tourmaline BC, Clear Super, Bacter 100, Penac P, Penac W
Decor: Malaysian driftwood (right), South East Asian Driftwood (left), petrified wood
Fauna: Anubias, Echinodorus Osiris, Java Fern, Echinodorus amazonicus, Vallisneria Americana, Sagittaria Platyphylla, Cryptocoryne crispatula, Micro Sword, Moss Fern
Flora: (to be put in soon) 6 Neons/Cardials (need advice), 6 Serpae Tetra, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Bristlenose pleco. I might add some 5-6 Zebra Danios as well.

Fertilizers: Flourish Excel & Flourish Plant Supplement (could use dose & frequency advice)

Any advice would be appreciated. What would you change about the tank? Any plant or fish type advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! What would you recommend for a foreground plant? Would you swap any plants out for red Rotalas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think adding Harlequins would be a great idea. Penguin tetras would work as well. I think I'll keep the cardinals, though - really like the color. How many would you add for a 38 gal tank? Would you take out the loaches? I liked them for how playful they are.

What are SAE's?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just looked up both plants – not as keen on Blyxa Japonica (looks a bit too tall) but definitely gonna add dwarf hairgrass to the foreground.

As far as fish – so are 2 SAEs better than one Bristlenose Pleco? Is there an alternative to a clown loach for the character, but not the size? I love their color as well and wondering if there's a smaller version of one out there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The journal continues!

Thank you all for the tips! I listened and decided not to gut the aquarium. I took out the dead plants, some algae, added many more plants and a new CO2 system and did a 40% change. Looks like it worked. The ammonia is down to one and my nitrite cycle is coming to the end. It seems tanks using Amazonia II take a lot longer to cycle. Check out the new weekly photo. Soon I will be adding fish. For algae control – SAE or Otos. Also, planning to three Botia Kubotai loaches later with Harlequins and Cardinals. What are the next steps you'd do now?

GP

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts