Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne undulata
Valisneria natans **removed Feb 2018
Anubias nangi **removed Sept 2019
Eleocharis acicularis
Rotala sp. H'ra
Ceratophyllum demersum

Fauna
1x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi (Black neon tetra)
4x Corydoras pygmaeus
2x Puntius titteya (Cherry barb)

June 2018
I started by sifting the potting soil with 1/4" wire screens to get any large debris out. I also washed the play sand to remove dust.

Late June 2018

July 2018

August 2018

February 2019

March 2019

June 2019

September 2019

January 2020

April 2020
If anyone was interested, here are 4 pictures of the bowl with a 90 degree rotation between each picture. It's tough to pick a "front" to the bowl so we usually rotate it once and a while to give a different perspective.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow! Beautiful colors! Excellent growth and combination of sizes/placement etc. I really like the carpet! Thumbs up!!!=D>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Beautiful colors! Excellent growth and combination of sizes/placement etc. I really like the carpet! Thumbs up!!!=D>
Thanks! This was my first time trying a carpet of Eleocharis, and it was definitely a good choice. I mow it down once a month to keep it from getting too wild.

Fantastic Bowl! And beautiful presentation. Thank you so much for posting.
Thanks Diana!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It lökosit very beautiful. But I have a question. Isn't it too heavily planted? No free space for the fish to swim freely...
The last pictures were taken before I trimmed everything, so yeah, a lot of plants. I took down all the crypts to about 2 leaves each and mowed the hairgrass to about 3/4" long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Here's a video from this morning after a big water change. I added 6 cherry shrimp recently and they all seem pretty happy. A month ago I went in with a scissors and cut everything down to about 1" tall, including the crypts. The fish definitely enjoyed the extra swimming space.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A very nice tank, but isn't that a bit small for cherry barbs (and lone black neon tetra)? There is hardly any swimming space for them and they have no where to hide from strong light (they feel safer in dimmer parts of the tank).

Also it's often being mentioned that they are schooling fish, so minimum number is about 5-6 specimen.

I would really advise to reconsider what kind of fish you keep in such a small space. There are other more suitable "nano" species which will be actually happy in 3 gallons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A very nice tank, but isn't that a bit small for cherry barbs (and lone black neon tetra)? There is hardly any swimming space for them and they have no where to hide from strong light (they feel safer in dimmer parts of the tank).

Also it's often being mentioned that they are schooling fish, so minimum number is about 5-6 specimen.

I would really advise to reconsider what kind of fish you keep in such a small space. There are other more suitable "nano" species which will be actually happy in 3 gallons.
The black neon was returned to the pet store. It's only 2 cherry barbs in there right now, one male and one female. I didn't update the list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I put the 2 cherry barbs and 3 pygmy cories in my 10g dutch scaped aquarium. The only thing in the bowl now is 5 cherry shrimp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts