Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am forced to sell my 4 gorgeous adult true wild altums within the next few months. They were imported by Jeff Rapps almost 3 years ago and I have had them ever since. Very large & colorful, non-fussy eaters. They are fully acclimated to captivity. They need 75+ gallons- the biggest one is perhaps 10-12" fin tip to fin tip, its body is a good 4". The other 3 are only slightly smaller.

If you are within driving distance of CT, and are serious about possibly buying my fish ($500 for the 4), shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can give you their entire life story and pictures. They have shown no pairing off activity, and I want them to go together. I will be at the NEC next month if that helps---I live perhaps 20 minutes from there.
thanks,
penny

·
Registered
442 Posts
just wondering, will they eat plants?? i ask this b/c i have wild scalares and one seem to take a liking to all my blyxa!:(

also....why are you selling ur altums!!!such a heavy loss

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi chunky
Funny,the only plant they EVER nibbled at was blyxa! Not enough to do too much damage...but I would see them picking at the blyxa now & then.

Why? We are remodeling our house and will have to move out for a good 6 months. Where I'll be living, I'm not so sure of the water, and it will be a real pain to do weekly W/Cs. Also, I don't want to even think about moving them out then moving them back in. Super PITA. Decided to just start a new tank when we move back in. Good opportunity to rescape and such.

I know there are people out there looking for altums, and I do want to find them a good home!
penny

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
I'm sure the price is warding people off but it's very hard to get true wild altums in captivity at all, let alone alive. And these are 10"... yeah, that's going to demand a high price.

GL! Pic....? just to gawk? :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Ah, how come you have to get rid of them? If I was still back east I'd find a way to make room for them. What fabulous fish!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey bryce-
see my other post about why.
here's a pic if I can manage to upload....
The first is when they were younger- 2nd is more recent. The fins have gotten longer since.

BTW I wrote an article about them which appeared in Aquarium Fish Hobbyist last summer. Unfortunately they used stock photos but the story is true!

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey All,

I've seen these fish and the older pics don't do these fish justice! The extensions of the fins are very impressive and they're in extremely good health. I've also seen them eat and they are pigs! These fish are a bargain at this price, even though some might consider it high. You have to realize the work that goes into acclimating and raising wild fish. These fish are brought in from the wild from drastically different water parameters, cleaned and cured of any diseases, and conditioned over a couple of years to the point they're at. It is an investment in patience and love.

I saw these guys when they were about the size of a fifty cent piece and they are quite a bit larger at this point. Thier colors are amazing and you can definitely see the personalities of each fish. Again, this is a bargain for some adult sized fish who are in great condition!

Texex94

·
Registered
442 Posts
me again!, just asking for everyone else, would you ever consider overnight express delivery with them??

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi--
Thanks, but I have lots of time to find someone so I'm going to say no at this point. I originally got 7 of them and they did NOT ship well, even when small- I had a few DOAs- and that was NJ to CT. They are way too big anyway.

Would you consider driving to CT? haha

penny

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Penny - I LOVED the px. They are beautiful. I hope you find a good home for them. SO sorry you have to give them up. Don't you have a close friend or relative that you can set up your tank there until you get settled? I'd do it for you if I wasn't so far away.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drinda, Awwww, that's so nice of you! Thanks!

None of my friends or relatives have the patience to take care of a tank. I am going to have a crazy existence going from a temporary home, to work, to remodeling site (existing home) practically every day...I don't think I want to add another stop (where the fish live) to that mix. Just too much- I have to draw a line somewhere. I've come to the decision that the best thing to do is what I'm (trying) to do.

Bailin (TexEx) offered to take them at one point, but we both decided his tank wasn't big enough.

I will miss them! But actually am looking forward to the opportunity to re-set it up again when we are back in the "new" house; with new substrate, a new stand, new layout, maybe new lighting. I've had this tank going for something like 10 years and when I set it up I had no idea of the "recommended planted tank procedures". So although I will miss my altums, I am somewhat excited to look to the future and start a tank again the right way. Or at least in a semi-educated sort of way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how big is the current tank they're in? :) I'd like to get altums once they're in season but I'm not sure if a 75G standard measurements, will be good enough.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.