Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this up and running for about 2 yrs now, there is a hardscape in there somewhere, just really hard to see.

40 gallon breeder
current 2 x 96 watt PC (dual daylight)
xp3 - powers co2 reactor 1 bps - 2 outputs on each side if tank
modified intake (sump foam covered w/ filter sock - keeps shrimp out of filter)
RO only
shirakura line of food
mosura mineral and food

It is a very fun tank as it is little in the way of daily routine. I feed, I watch, I trim. Growth rate in the tank is amazing and the colors are intense - fun to know this can happen in a CRS tank -

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Awesome tank! Must be really cool to watch the CRS swarm over all the plants.

I tried to get a breeding colony of CBS going at one point but was unsuccessful.

A couple of questions in case I try again someday: what substrate are you using? what is the pH? how often do you change the water?

Thanks for posting!

-Roy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL - you won't believe me...

shrimp food, shrimp pooh, 5 WPG PC lighting (6700/10k), slow co2 w/ reactor - 1 bps 24/7, 2 bulbblers in back, occasional dose of mosura calcium supplement (gh to 5-7), xp3 filter, r/o only, occasional iron when plants show signs of red loss, and only occasional K when i'm seeing leaf changes. India almond leaves for the babies. Inline heater (hardly used), inline UV sterilizer (24/7 but old bulb by now), and a chiller that pegs the temp at about 72.

I'm guessing my phos is off the charts (shirakura shrimp powder which I overfeed on purpose for the plants and shirakura shrimp pellets). My nitrates are low but when I push the food or hack out the plants I'm sure it spikes some (see some of my older shrimp pass on )
Plant load and bio load seem to handle it.

OH, and no water changes (last one I did was like march I think - I'm lazy like that) I do them when I hit a bump with the CRS - until that I just top off daily losses when I can hear my water running. As far as shrimp the most important 2 things I have noted would be the addition of higher O2 sat (lower temp and bubblers) does seem to keep them happy and the breeding rates were much higher w/ the mosura calcium and the almond leaves.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just did another semi count in there.. close to 400-500 with all the babies. What do A/S/S+ grade shrimp go for these days? I've only shipped once and it was fair weather. How do you package with a heating pack without frying the shrimp?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
u place the heat pack on a piece of paper and lay the bags on them. so simple.

·
Registered
176 Posts
3 to 5 bucks a shrimp seems to be the going rate. And to me thats a decent price. Especially when the shrimp are as healty as yours are. I guess im the only one you shipped to but since then my population has quadrupled and still growing strong. One of the best purchases ive made.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts