Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hm, I don't think I add more then necessary. Even in the pinned thread about which soils to use they talk about this stuff (dolomit, potash and crushed shells). I'll just add a bit of KCO3, crushed egg shells and Dolomit powder to my potting organic soil mixed with garden top soil and cap it with my gravel. Nothing really complicated and how I did all the other tanks. I just made a list of things I bought to get a feeling how expensive this project is. Maybe thats where the confusion stemms from?
I also didn't really need to tweak anything so far, the tanks run very smoothly (except the one with the cloudiness and that does only affect the looks).

@johnwesley0

I have Nymphiodes sp. Taiwan that plant doesn't do emergent leaves. Its fresh green and really likes the soil setup.

The other Nympheas I have are just some from my pond, they are more red underwater but get dark green with a touch of red on the surface.

I also have a typical red tiger lotus but the bulb has just gotten its first leave. So it is really small and in my fry/shrimp cull tank till it gets bigger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. I'm looking forward to seeing how your tank works out. Your water situation is very different from ours and most of the U.S.. Only on the west coast, in parts of California, Washington state and Oregon, do we see naturally soft water like yours. So even though this is a Walstad type forum here, not many of us deal with your water issues.

There is a fellow online who has a fish shop, (selling all things aquarium-related) in Washington state, his name is Corey something, and he has a YouTube channel you might find helpful. Perhaps you've already found him? His channel and store are both called Aquarium Co-op. I think to get to his online store you just type aquariumcoop dot com. He is very knowledgeable about most things aquarium-related, especially in dealing with water like yours. He likes Walstad style tanks a lot and uses them where he can. But I thought since he has very similar water to you, you might gain some insight as to what works and what doesn't when deviating from the simple 'dirt on the bottom, gravel on top, add water and fish and you're done' style of fish keeping. He rambles quite a lot but his rambling is filled with solid experience based on those hundreds of tanks he runs and has run for years. I've learned so many tips from the guy, I find him to be a goldmine of information.

Please keep us up to date on how your tank goes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have Nymphoides sp. Taiwan as well. Mine recently started putting out lily-pad like leaves. They are more arrowhead shaped and less wavy than the submerged leaves. They also have very long stems that are developing plantlets at a point about an inch behind the leaf. Have you seen this in yours yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Soooosome stints in a hospital later.....

The tank is filled! I can't believe it. It is standing there and looking great!

I documented most of it and made an imgur thread. The best thing was doing some tanks beforehand and trying things out with my water. The more I read about American water the more I am glad to live in Germany. 😜
No chlor, no lead, not extremely hard (at least where I am) nothing dangerous in there.

I could put in south american fish and they would feel right at home!

Unfortunately I like platy, molly and livebearers more and need to help a little to make it easier on them. 🤪

·
Registered
715 Posts
Soooosome stints in a hospital later.....

The tank is filled! I can't believe it. It is standing there and looking great!

I documented most of it and made an imgur thread. The best thing was doing some tanks beforehand and trying things out with my water. The more I read about American water the more I am glad to live in Germany. 😜
No chlor, no lead, not extremely hard (at least where I am) nothing dangerous in there.

I could put in south american fish and they would feel right at home!

Unfortunately I like platy, molly and livebearers more and need to help a little to make it easier on them. 🤪

Fantastic documentation! Love the little experiments (any one of which I would have been happy to make "permanent") along the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sooo everything is working great so far.

The plants are shooting new leaves and runners by the day. Bacopa australis is not as fast as I hoped. Limnophila is going to win the battle of fastest growing plant again. Not far behind are Vallisneria and Sagittaria. Then the lotus.

The fish adapted well and I added the last ones I wanted today (mollys).

In the 30 Gallon the ph dropped down to under 6 and I lost some shrimp. Added Natron for kh buffer. I changed the plants to mostly cryptocoryne because of my ever hungry plecos. Oh well... the cryptocoryne even flowered so I am not mad.
After the ph Drop I did some water changes before adding the natron and the cory cats laid eggs. I transferred them to the 2.5 Gallon and try to rise some :D

In the 15 Gallon I needed to clean the hang on Filter. I have a lot of Plants inside it like pothos and it clogged. Apart from that and fishing out duck weed I only need to feed it.

I got some different pheno types of endler guppys in the 100 Gallon and can't wait to see what happens when doing colony breeding.

1. Compona no. 31 blue snake
2. Spotted Tail
3. Japan blue

Also some different platys and mollys.
Lets see what genetics will bring.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts