Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought some of you might like to see my latest tank.

Tank - AquaOne Mirage 40cm
Light - 24w compact T5
CO2 - 2bps + 1cap Flourish Excel daily
Ferts - 2ml ADA Step1, 2ml ADA Brighty K, 2ml ADA Brighty Spec Lights daily.
Substrate - ADA AS Africana, ADA Sarawak Sand

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
93 Posts
looks great! You mind telling us the exact dimensions of the tank?

And I would have thought that thats wayyy too much excel to be dosing daily in a tank that small, but by the looks of it it's just right!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really like the simplicity of your design. You don't overwhelmed having too many textures and colors.

With amount of Excel that you use, do you have a significant drop in pH?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about pH, haven't tested. My water's very hard, so I doubt its dropped much. Only been using it for about a week to get rid of some BBA, but I've noticed a huge increase in growth since. Otocinclus are fine as well, nice and round from all the algae eating.

Tom

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks. The dimensions are 40Lx23Dx27H. Yeah, the Excel is roughly 10x overdosed ;) Works great :D

Tom
:shock: wow and your shrimp are still ok? i thought that would kill the rcs but looks like everythings great in your tank. maybe ill up my dosage to 2x the daily amount and see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Thanks. The dimensions are 40Lx23Dx27H. Yeah, the Excel is roughly 10x overdosed ;) Works great :D

Tom
Messy

The Excel instruction say -
"DIRECTIONS: On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 gallons*). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 gallons*) daily or every other day. Dosing may be slowly increased in high-growth aquariums. For smaller dosing please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL"

Do you OD with the initial dose (underlined) or the maintenance dose?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bunbuku - In large doses, Excel is known to have an adverse affect on BBA, hence why I am using such doses. I have been dosing 1 capful per day, every day for about a week. Since then, I have seen a reduction in algae, and also a huge increase in moss growth. I haven't seen any detrimental affect on my shrimp, Otocinclus, snails or plants. Of couse if I thought it was harming any livestock I would lower it, but so far all I've seen is good.

Kakkoii and AQUAMX - Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Bunbuku - In large doses, Excel is known to have an adverse affect on BBA, hence why I am using such doses. I have been dosing 1 capful per day, every day for about a week. Since then, I have seen a reduction in algae, and also a huge increase in moss growth. I haven't seen any detrimental affect on my shrimp, Otocinclus, snails or plants. Of couse if I thought it was harming any livestock I would lower it, but so far all I've seen is good.

Kakkoii and AQUAMX - Thanks :D
Well that makes a lot more sense! Thanks for clarifying. I have used the 5 mL per 10 gallon dose on the first day, but reduced it 2 mL per 10 gallon the following 4 days with similar results and no ill effects on shrimp and otos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts