Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
no updates in a while, but not a whole lot to report. Meshmodded needlewheel impeller has worked out well, I have reduced my bubble rate and have more bubbles of a smaller size suspended in the water column for a longer amount of time. One snag was the tight fit of the impeller. I had to trim back the mesh and re-arrange zip ties to get a good fit. On my to-do list is another meshmod with two other impellers and this time I will do it differently, post the steps here.

Not a whole lot to report plant wise, I have collect a few new spp but they are in other tanks at the moment. My Limnophila 'vietnam mini' foreground has spread to take over much of the front 1/3 of the tank and I'll be pulling it up replanting and selling the extra soon. I have gotten some good growth and color from the tricky Rotala mexicana 'belem' after adjusting traces and position. Hopefully some grouping pics of that soon.

I do have a some spp poking up out of the water now, local temps have been very mild and so I have fewer fans running in the fishroom - that equals better humidity over the tanks and less curling/drying out of emergent stems. Heres a few pics, hoping for some flowers soon :

Limnophila 'wavy'

L.pantanal

Purple bamboo

not pictured, but also emergent are

Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila 'sulawesi'

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Limnophila 'sulawesi' emersed

here are a couple pics. Click the thumb for a larger image.
it has an interesting leaf shape - toothed margin is a fitting description, it looks like it could bite.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thanks, but nothing fancy really. more a tangled collection than anything. :)
I'm about to redo it with focus on tonina and syngonanthus variants so I can keep them straight.

I'll spread/swap some of the current spp with the sister tank butted up against it and probably just roll it into this journal since they will be managed as a single 8sq ft. grow space. Also I'm contemplating adding filtration after running for over a year without it. Really theres no upside, and particle buildup is getting annoying to deal with. Its amazing how much buildup can occur in a fishless tank that seems pretty healthy.

for pics I'm using one of my cheap point and shoots, most of the pics here were with the canon sd1200IS which doesn't even have manual focus (sigh).

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
thanks speedie. No tricks I can think of except that I do spend a lot of time looking at my aquariums, cleaning and trimming. So patterns develop and it makes it easier to care for the plants. Spending time watching the plants grow is better (IMO) than any test kit as and indicator of stability and cues for dosing.

I'm trying to wrap up some flowering, then a major replant (again). Not sure what I'll be doing though, but it doesnt have to include so many spp. since some additional space is available. Waiting on flowers can be frustrating. A dedicated emergent setup is in my near future; that way I can focus my cubes on submerged growth again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The red and pink plants are awesome!!! I have some red plants, but I can't get them to be RED! Like I have some ludwigia peruensis (I think that's right) and the new leaves come in a dark maroon instead of the bright purple they're supposed to be! :)

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
thanks guys!

@Bunnie1978 - I use elevated P04 and daily traces to help with red. MH lighting plays a part also.

@gonathan85 - you harvest L.pantanal from the local river? nice! where are you located?

by the way I have flowers about to open on L.araguaia and L.cuba is converting to emersed form. Hopefully the emergent Rotala 'mini butterfly' will make flowers soon and I can remove the floating mat of that from the tank.

anybody got tips on getting rotalas to flower? Does it take a long time?
seems like its been a while, nearly month of emergent growth so far.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
yeah, the emersed growth is quite fuzzy too.
trying to get a shot of the inside, showing the yellow color and structure in there before I press it.

Nesaea triflora is flowering as well; not surprisingly the flowers are in clusters of three.
more pics as they mature, click the thumb for a bigger image.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
more flowering images

Limnophila 'sulawesi' - flower is open wider, so I could get a pic of the yellow inside

Nesaea triflora - flowers are starting to open, they look Nesaea flowers to me :)

Ludwigia inclinata var verticillata 'araguaia' - unopened, opening, dropped petals.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.