Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
it should be done opening by sometime next week, at the rate its going.
I'll definitely press it, and I'll see if I can dig up some origin info from the HK guys.
I usually strike out on that though :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
This plant was given to me as Limnophila punctata Blume.
Like yourself, I was growing it in emersed condition and it has a Pogostemon sp look about it.
I'd like to know the proper name for it so I can trade it in a more accurate way.
Genus= Pogostemon
Species=??

thanks for your help.

Btw= have you also tried growing "Bacopa sp red" ( Rotala sp Araguaia) in emersed form?
Does it look like a mini form of Ludwigia inclinata??

Definitely NOT a Limnophila. It looks very, very likely that it's a Pogostemon. There is some discussion about the subject earlier in the thread.

·
Administrator
7,423 Posts
I don't know the species yet. Determining that will take some work and time. For now, you might just say Pogostemon sp. Kudos for trying to get the right name!

I've grown the Rotala sp. 'Araguaia' emersed, and it looks pretty much the same as submersed, but just an olive green.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
species still unknown, but a pressed specimen has been sent out and we will continue to dig. Sometimes these things take time. Pogostemon sp. seems appropriate in the meantime,or keep the tradename for those familiar with it. The L.punctata Blume naming sourced from an HK supplier (in my case). I imported this plant early last year under that name, but it could have certainly made it to US / EU independently under the same name.

Unfortunately I have not tried Rotala 'araguaia' emersed yet. Someday. :)
I have a large list of rotalas to flower, it keeps growing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the updates, Adam. It all starts, of course, with the great job you do with the plants themselves. Your macrophotography is also very effective: well lit, sharply focused, and thoughtfully framed.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
thanks guys, and yep the flowering stuff is out of this tank.
I ran similar trials in a sister tank, but nothing extra to report there
except a flowering Erio matto grosso. This cube is mostly cleared out now,
but I'll get a pic up of the tank at its lowest point - completely choked with emergent growth.

heres what I got from the matto (may it rest in peace)
I sent out a pressed specimen and fingers crossed for an ID

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I can't even see the water. I'm very curious as to what it looks like from the front :eek:
sorry, I didnt take a pic
but it was almost black below the waterline. In this pic, the waterline was 1/3 up from the bottom. Late in the season, and I had already shut off CO2 long before and had only powerheads below the surface for a bit of circulation.

another thing to mention about emersed growth, is to avoid duckweed/wolfia etc. at all costs. It is near impossible to get rid of because of all the stems poking out above the water. Usually I just dip it out with a fishnet and its gone. Planting in pots/containers would help there. You could just remove the pots and clean up, then put them back.

The way I did emersed growth this season, I wont repeat. To much of an interruption to my submerged spp (I lost several). I'm finalizing separate setups for year round emersed and submersed plant keeping. No more mixes and the associated mess.

I have a pic someplace of all the plants in a pile after I pulled them out. quite a lump of biomass, I'll post it if I can find it.

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
there was still ~7in water column and I was feeding them liquid fertilizer (into the water column) at the time, and spraying the emergent growth with RODI water daily. Currently the tank is back to submerged growth. Nothing picworthy but I should do an update soon.

the substrate was packed with sediment. Theres never been a filter in this tank, and its been playing havoc with keeping a clean appearance. I've swished and vacuumed most of it out by now but some remains. I'm going to rig up filtration before I start farming again. I've decided theres really no upside to zero filtration, except to show that its possible. The particle buildup is a hassle if you like a clean tank. I think I'll use an eheim ecco and rig it to a diy spraybar and an external drain. Went shopping for black PVC yesterday.

·
Administrator
7,423 Posts
OK, I finally set aside some time today and worked on identifying the Pogostemon today. I've been thinking it might be P. pumilus from India to Burma. The verdict? Probably, but I really need a fresher specimen and seeds if I can get it.

In most respects, it matches. On the whole, it's a bit smaller than what Cook's description says, but that may be because it was a bit dried up before it was pressed. Unlike P. stellatus, which it is not, it has trichomes - or hairs - halfway up the stamen's filaments instead of near the top. Most everything else matches, but the description says that the floral bracts (those right next to the flowers, not below the whole inflorescence) are purplish; the ones I saw were green. Purplish bracts sounds kind of strange to me (at least here), so I'll have to look into that. I'd give more details, but I'm quite tired now. Another specimen and we should be there. Go Adam! :)

·
regulator
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
yes, that was the one where I didnt press soon enough and the specimen got crunchy. doh!

I do have a ton of this growing submerged and beginning to break the surface. Thanks for the research and I'll send flowers and hopefully seeds your way. An outside tub for growout may help, I'll see what I can scratch up. If I remember correctly, this one needed elevated humidity when emergent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
for this journal I'm going to select one of my acrylic growout / collectoritis tanks.
This one is nearest the west wall of my fishroom, and I call it '04'.
Not worthy of an ADA poem, but I like it just the same.

I'll discuss what I do to maintain my collection, what I'm keeping, the specifics about the dosing for the spp. mix
and of course try to encourage discussion about these kinds of tanks.
I got into plant keeping, loved all the different plants and quickly became addicted to collecting.
But there are some challenges to maintaining a collection :
  • organization : losing something (literally) in dense plantings
  • the species mix makes dosing difficult, all plants do not reach potential
  • running out of room
  • develop a routine, staying focused
  • budget, calculating cost

without much more blather heres the starting point, this is the tank today :

dimensions 24x24x17" tall (custom built)
light fishneedit 150W HQI pendant; 10K coralife bulb
substrate ADA aquasoil
filtration none
CO2 method pressurized, solenoid kicks on with the lights
CO2 delivery OTP 1000 needlewheel pump, inside the tank
photoperiod currently 8 hours
additional flow mini powerheads
dosing more or less EI dosing
water changes currently every 5 days - 20% taken out, replace with with RODI and add GH
GH no more than 4
KH no measurable KH
pH I have no idea

there are no fish, but there are some snails.

plants :

Nesaea 'triflora'
Bacopa sp. 'japan'
Bacopa sp. 'araguaia'
Bacopa madagascarensis
Limnophila 'vietnam mini'
Limnophila 'sulawesi'
Limnophila punctata Blume
Limnophila 'guinea broadleaf'
Limnophila aromatica 'broad'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila 'wavy'
Hyptis sp.
Ludwigia senegalensis
Ludwigia inclinata
Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated'
Aciotis sp.
Erio 'goias'
Erio 'sulawesi'
Syngonanthus 'lago grande'
Syngonanthus 'rio *'
Pogostemon stellatus 'fine/narrow'
Rotala mexicana 'goias'
Rotala mexicana 'araguaia'
Rotala mexicana 'belem'
Rotala mexicana 'green'
Rotala sp. 'sunset'
Rotala sp. 'araguaia'
Rotala sp. 'green narrow'
Rotala macrandra 'japan'
Rotala macrandra 'super red'
Rotala macrandra 'green'
Rotala macrandra 'green narrow'
Rotala macrandra 'mini butterfly'
Rotala macrandra 'variegated'
Tonina fluviatilis
Tonina fluviatilis 'santos' / 'lotus'
Tonina fluviatilis 'carapanal mini'
Can u tell me the difference between tonina fluviatilis, lotus and mini

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.