Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the way they stay all the time. Must be love :D
I was using the Estimative Index for 1 1/2 month. It ruined the whole tank. Somehow it just doesnt work with this setup. I got hair algae in enormous amounts. Now i am only dosing a standard micro fertilizer. Macros only directly into the soil with tabletts and very little. And now its getting better. But very slowly.

Cheers
Axel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
what can I say. I just planted and waited. The pieces should not be to small. Half the size of a finger. Then filling the tank. If you dont like the HC to come up or having issues with this try starting with the Dry Start Method Tom Barr is using. Just search for this if you dont know the technique. Its easy and very helpful. But after all you just need patience. It really isnt tricky.

Cheers
Axel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry that my first post here is criticism.
First I have to say, that I really like the look of your tank.
But...
"Thats the way they stay all the time. Must be love "

This is not a "normal" behaviour and this indicates that they do not feel secure. Tetras swim in close groups to diminish risks when they feel threatened. This tank is too small, too "open", it doesn't provide enough plants to feel sheltered. When they feel secure they swim loose. You should provide them a larger, well planted tank to meet their needs.

Greetings from Austria.

·
Registered
733 Posts
A very nice tank. Can you share your dosing details please?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry that my first post here is criticism.
First I have to say, that I really like the look of your tank.
But...
"Thats the way they stay all the time. Must be love "

This is not a "normal" behaviour and this indicates that they do not feel secure. Tetras swim in close groups to diminish risks when they feel threatened. This tank is too small, too "open", it doesn't provide enough plants to feel sheltered. When they feel secure they swim loose. You should provide them a larger, well planted tank to meet their needs.

Greetings from Austria.
I must say that I agree with this. No criticism of this tank, as such, it's just something I notice of Iwagumi style 'scapes. It's clear that the fish have nowhere to hide and therefore are sort of "forced" into schooling behaviour for comfort or security. The Tet's in my heavily planted tank swim all over the palce and always look very comfortable and relaxed, often playfully ambushing each other from behind the leaf cover...

Still, I like this tank, and I think you've done a fantastic job! Well done!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought the schooling of tetras by eliminating taller plants is something people desired, and in my opinion, seems like one of the chief reasons for a short, grassy Iwagumi style scape. Weather or not the fish are physiologically stressed is up for debate, as the water conditions must be superb for such grand plant growth...

anyone else... thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.