Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first off im new here so I thought starting a journal over my progress would be a good way to acclimate (aquatic humor) myself to these forums.

I got into aquariums about 4 years ago when my friends mom gave me a 29 gal tank, my dads does carpentry work on the side so he built me a nice stand for it and I set it up as a saltwater tank.

Anywho, tore it down, my addiction grew, sold it and got a 45 gal tall tank.

I read and read and read over more saltwater stuff wanting this tank to be perfect and amazing. One day I came across the ADA Aquascaping Contest and instantly switched this idea to freshwater planted.

I built a stand for my new tank to set at the end of my bed as my headrest.

Built columns on the sides to hide any tubing or wiring for the setup, wanted this to be sleek.

My inspiration, in a way, im going for something close but with my own ideas on it.

At this point its cycled and everythings ready to go so I started with adding plants and fish. I added 6 neon tetras and some plants.

As you can see I've still got some remnants of saltwater (5 gal hex in background)

One question though, the plants I'm placing along the edge of the sand and substrate, they were called "Kyoto" plants at petco, after all my reading and researching I've never heard of seen any Kyoto plants?

Can anyone point out whats the true name of these plants and how they grow?

I've ordered some driftwood online and it should be here next week along with a 150 watt MH light fixture setup.

If anyone has any pointers and/or opinions please feel free. I've done tons of reading and research over freshwater plant setups so I dont consider myself a beginner at this, but helpful advice from people is always a bonus!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wood came in today and I gathered up some good candidates for "branches"

boildem and cleaned them up nicely.

I drilled a hole slightly larger than the base of the twigs and used aquarium glue from my saltwater tank to hold the twigs into the thicker piece.

Ill be ordering my 150watt MH fixture friday along with java moss to go in place along the branches to form the "leaves" of the tree.

I'm wondering though if I should maybe lay down some sort of mesh along the branches to support a thicker java moss or would I be okay just tieing it down on the branches? I'm not sure how it grows, so I need your help!!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Those branches look pretty thin. Do you think it can support the mesh or the moss? The moss will continue to grow out from the branches with or without mess. I do think if you use mesh you might not have the draping look of the moss from the bottom, if that's what you are looking for. I know moss grows through mesh but it will take the path of least resistance and grow toward the light, which probably wont be through the mesh toward the substrate. Just a thought....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those branches look pretty thin. Do you think it can support the mesh or the moss? The moss will continue to grow out from the branches with or without mess. I do think if you use mesh you might not have the draping look of the moss from the bottom, if that's what you are looking for. I know moss grows through mesh but it will take the path of least resistance and grow toward the light, which probably wont be through the mesh toward the substrate. Just a thought....
yeah they are thicker than the camera leads them to be. I think it should be okay

I'll put down some mesh as a structure for the moss to grow on. Everything should be coming in next week, including PC 2-96 watt 6700k light retrofit. Some chinese zebra rock, the finishing touches on the stand. my co2 regulator and everything for that from ADA. I'm thinking about ordering the moss and some dwarf hairgrass friday or monday and getting that started on.

I just noticed your from joshua tx, I live in Corsicana if you know about where thats at

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That "kryto" plant might be monda grass, which is non aquatic and will die :(
I did some research on these boards and found that petco is known for that.

Its okay though I dont plan on keeping the plants in there now, they just wouldnt go along with my theme in the long run anyways.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm very interested to see how this turns out. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found Corsicana. Looks like your about 1.5 -2 hrs from me. Not too bad by the TX measure. People from small states think that's an over night trip! HA!
SHHH I drive an hour and a half to the nearest LFS hahaha

Over night, oh those small state goers haha :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I ordered some dwarf hairgrass, java moss, co2 diffuser, fertilizer, a pc light retrofit, it has 2-96watt bulbs giving me about 192 watts total, which is about 4 watts per gallon.

I cut some mesh today to make the frame for the tree and I'll put that in when the fern goes in.

Also, I have no pics of this but I ordered some chinese zebra rock from ADA online, it came in friday and looks amazing in my tank. I'll get pics up soon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol so I haven't updated in a while due to the fact that.

The tree idea was a complete failure on my part :(

I mean I finished it, and it would have worked and everything, but the way the tank was set up already etc etc etc. Just didn't look ANYTHING like I had wanted it to.

So I tore it all down and decided to go a different direction...

Ordered some more plants and more gear and what not.

Is where I stand now, this Friday I will be ordering some red cherry shrimp to take care of my algae problem. Along with about 10 more tetras, lookin at about 20 or so total but I'm only adding a few at a time. Theres 5 now.

I've got co2 injection going, 2 96watt 6700k pc lights setup...

I'm trying to get my hands on a very large, 1ft wide by 1.5ft tall Chinese Zebra Rock to go on the right side of the tank, with that I'm going to try and do something with dwarf baby tear grass.

Although finding that rock is proving to be kinda difficult, no where around here sells rocks like that and Aquaforest Aquariums has yet to return any emails, I think I'll call them friday when I place my order for my other stuff.

I've now got 2 subcurrent wet/dry filters on this tank as my canister filter gave out, I really like the design of these as I can get good surface agitation as well as the skimmer itself on the filters. I've got one of my nano saltwater tank with some different media in it and it works wonders.

What amazes me is the speed of growth of these plants. They have DOUBLED, some TRIPLED in size in one week time, its amazing the growth of these plants. Kinda makes me feel like im doing this all right :p haha.

Anywho, I'll update with more when I get more plants/rocks/rcs/tetras!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Excellent work Kevin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a little update, some new fish

Aqua Forest Aquariums got in touch with me, and I placed an order this morning for a 25lb 14" tall 9" wide peice of Zebra rock to go on the left side of the tank.

But today I picked up a few more tetras...

I keep forgetting to get a big peice of posterboard to hold up when I take pics to get a solid color background...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would be better than the funky bed sheets :rolleyes:;)
Anyway, that's a huge piece of zebra rock :eek:
Yeah and its gonna be a huge chunk of change to get it!!!

I hate living out in the middle of NOWHERE as I dont have anywhere near me, within 100 miles in any direction, that would sell any good looking rocks or any aquarium supplies at that haha.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, Ive recruited some new help with algeaaaa

word

now refering to this picture

the rock wasnt what i wanted so ive decided to go with some driftwood and more plants

i need some help deciding what plants to get that would work well with my tank and how it already looks

ive got about 3-4 watts per gallon, no ferts but would get if necessary my plants seem to be growing just fine without them. im using excel and have diy co2 coming in as well.

so what would be a good set of plants to fill up that other side?

i want something tall for the wall and then just kinda flow downward from that like the other side...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts