Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome, I found this little 5.5 gallon tank I de-rimmed last year. Then in the midst of my stupidity I lost it in my attic. Well fast-forward 13 months and I found it. So what else to do but start a nice little tank. I guess Im just depressed that I have to take down my 75 gallon because we are moving in a few months. heres a bad pic after it had been semi dismantled.

Anyways I'm onto smaller and better things I went out and bought a whole bunch of odds and ends for the new nano, most notably that infamous home depot light, the zoomed 502 and these dumb ass little mini jr. 7.5 watt heaters from wallyworld. I thought a 50w heater would be too much, but after a good nights rest I have realized how stupid I was. So I went out and bought a 50w visi-therm stealth, IMO the only way to go as far as heaters go. so disregard those 2 little heaters, they are going back to Wall-Town tommorow.

I cannibalized some soil Master Select from my 75 gallon tonight and thats what i'm going to use.

The bachelor pad

Alright so I guess Im going to try and only use filtered water on this little tank. I've heard it can really make a difference, so I guess we will see. I'm kinda lazy and like to tell myself I will stick to this plan, but I prob won't.

Okay Got it all setup, Thats good for tonight, Ill fill it and let it clear a little bit before I post anymore pictures. SMS is really gross and dirty after you fill the tank and I know nobody (including me) wants to see that

Okay well Ill do my best to keep this updated as I go along, I have been trying to decide what Kinda fish I want in here, Maybe a Dwarf Puffer. That might be an interesting change of pace.......

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay well I apologize That The following pictures still aren't that interesting, Im waiting on my LfS to get some plants in, but anyways I pulled some plants from my 75 gallon and threw them in here just for kicks, They look pretty good though so Ill prob keep them.

Some Manzanita wood i Found, Im gonna take it back and get a more interesting piece though

Another 18 watt fixture that I'm not sure if im going to use in conjunction with my home depot 27 watt light, 45 watts sounds like alot on a 5.5 gallon nano. well see how it goes

The Ferts I will be using, just one question, how the hell do I scale my dosing down for a 5.5 gallon tank? I mean I would be using like 2 drops, I got a little dosing syringe, but even that may be to big.

Alright Thats all for now, I will get more flora and maybe even fauna for next time. I'd love to hear from you guys, comments and suggestions are welcome.

-John

·
Registered
584 Posts
This little tank has so much potential. I don't know what you like but maybe try an Iwagumi style. Naybe a couple of nice rocks in front of the taller plants left of center and in the back half of the tank. Maybe a blyxa japonica directly behind the rock and then maybe lilaeopsis or UG covering the rest of the foreground. Then do some cool shrimp and maybe some boraras. Just my $.02.

Also will you be doing DIY CO2. I would definitely recommend it.

Keep us updated I love to see these nanos. My wife has threatened divorce if I start up another tank so I have to live vicariously through this site.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you would reccomed DIY co2 over excel? I would like to decide which is better pretty soon so I can get a carbon source running sometime today.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would definitely recommend DIY over excel if you want to grow some of the more finicky foregrounds. In a tank this size it would probably be fine but it all depends on what you want for this tank. Depending on the investment you want to make you can even try a paintball type CO2 pressurized system. IMO DIY or pressurized CO2 is the way to go for any planted tank.

Excel does have the advantage of being algicidal but noone really knows why so maybe that is someting else to think about.

I would try with just the 27w for now and see if it works for you. Maybe you can DIY some better reflectors for it. I think that there is a thread in the DIY forum about using aluminum foil to make reflectors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah, dosing in that size can be tough. I have a 5 gallon hex for my betta fish, and i believe i have over fertilized. I would work with it until you have the formula right. you could always fertilize by the seachem fertilizer plant chart, which if you don't have then i can get it here for ya. I would take that little dropper and figure out how many drops per capful on each of the ferts, then use math to figure out how many drops it takes. For example, if it it a capful of nitrogen per 50 gallons, and one cap equals100 drops, that would be 100 drops per 50 gallons. divide by 10, and you get 10 drops per five gallons. Figure it all out that way and go from there.

I am putting one of those nutrafin co2 plant systems in mine, with the bubble ladder. I figure that will be right for mine, as i definitely don't want to put too much and bettas don't like the surface agitation and airstones are out of the question. I am leary of DIY for mine as i am not knowledgeable enough to figure out the right formula for this.

Here is a link to mine. Not the best photographer, or landscaper, but thought i would share nonetheless.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/krisco1281/master%20b%20home/

·
Registered
47 Posts
I asked the pharmacist at the local drugstore chain for a oral syringe. I told him that I lost the dropper that comes with infant Tylenol. The full capacity is just 1ml which is good for dosing my 7g. It's about the same size as an eye dropper.

·
Registered
584 Posts
To make things a little easier you can pour the amount in one capful into the syringe that you have and this will give you an mL per gallon dose. If it is one capful per 50 gallons then just divide the total volume by 50 gallons and that will give you the volume per gallon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts