Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These plants were in a Walstad 1-gallon bowl, now in this 5-gallon desktop. Soil is potting soil, same bag as what was in the bowl. Plants were doing great there. I only moved everything because I couldn't see into the bowl. I like a crowded jungly tank, so I don't mind that these plants will eventually fill this up.

Do I have enough plants to start with?

7 crypt retrospiralis
5 stems rotala rotundifolia
1 ozelot sword
Floating piece of water sprite

I can add myrio and more water sprite.

·
Super Moderator
2,630 Posts
Nice tank! I think you have plenty of plants.

The plants in your 5 gal are already acclimated to your soil and water conditions. They don't have to change from the emergent to the submerged form. You've already found a soil that you know works for your situation.

I think you're way ahead of the game. I would be surprised if this tank didn't do well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice tank! I think you have plenty of plants.

The plants in your 5 gal are already acclimated to your soil and water conditions. They don't have to change from the emergent to the submerged form. You've already found a soil that you know works for your situation.

I think you're way ahead of the game. I would be surprised if this tank didn't do well.

Good luck!
Oh, that's so great to hear! Thank you, Diana!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAY 14. Rotala is growing, crypts are adjusting to being moved with a few dying leaves, and I added some green wendtii. While cleaning this yesterday my worries came true and I knocked the log loose, so I carefully pulled it up and popped a lotus bulb in its place.

Second pic is where I have this tank. It gets a little sun every afternoon. I really enjoy looking at it in the evenings. I think it’ll house a sparkling gourami eventually. And shrimp. And snails.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not to snoop, but is that a catio out your window? If so, very cool, would love to see some pet tax along with the fish :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not to snoop, but is that a catio out your window? If so, very cool, would love to see some pet tax along with the fish :D
Snoop away, lol. It’s our huge porch that’s been fenced in for the cats. (I rescued a female with 2 unweaned babies. And turned out she was already pregnant again. This is how one becomes what appears to be a crazy cat lady!)). Here’s a pic. We saved a lot of money building our house, so we put a 60-ft by 10-ft porch across the front and fenced it in. Our small back porch is also fenced in. A bored retired husband seems to be a productive husband!

No fish in my tank yet, but I’ll share as soon as I get some.

And because I notice backgrounds in pics too that book is 102 Minutes, a very interesting book about escapes from the towers on 9/11.

The dogs are Buck and Molly (my mom’s dog). Cat is Bunk. We also have Girlfriend, the pittie you can see at the upper left. All are rescues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is Bambam with her first 2 babies at our old house, her children are Mr Orange and Miniboo, and next pic is of her second set. L to R are Scrapple, Squarepants, Dormouse, and Wilbur. Bambam went into hiding after we rescued her. By the time she emerged she was too far along to spay (it’s possible, we just couldn’t bring ourselves to do it). I originally saw her behind a store as I took a fateful shortcut. It took me several months of daily feeding to finally get her trapped. After she tamed down we had a long talk about her lifestyle choices.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a beautiful tank and honestly, I like it better without the wood. I think a sparkling gourami, while a beautiful fish, would be the wrong fish for this tank. For one they need more than just 5 gallons of water. Also while they are not typically schooling, sparkling gouramis do better in groups of 5+. I'd go with maybe a fancy betta of some sort or one of the many killifish suited for small tanks. Or just a bunch of shrimp.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a beautiful tank and honestly, I like it better without the wood. I think a sparkling gourami, while a beautiful fish, would be the wrong fish for this tank. For one they need more than just 5 gallons of water. Also while they are not typically schooling, sparkling gouramis do better in groups of 5+. I'd go with maybe a fancy betta of some sort or one of the many killifish suited for small tanks. Or just a bunch of shrimp.
Thank you! I was wondering about it being too small. I recently watched a video of someone collecting wild bettas in Thailand to breed then release to keep up the population. Bettas and sparkling gouramis were all living side by side in their own territories.

I really liked the wood, but at least I no longer have to worry about knocking it loose, lol. The soil explosion was minimal.

While I love the shape I’m realizing why plain standard tanks are shaped the way they are. A horizontal rectangle simply gives you more options. I could’ve gotten a single 20 long for a fraction of the cost, same amount of gallons total, and had a much wider selection of fish to keep. Live and learn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you! I was wondering about it being too small. I recently watched a video of someone collecting wild bettas in Thailand to breed then release to keep up the population. Bettas and sparkling gouramis were all living side by side in their own territories.

I really liked the wood, but at least I no longer have to worry about knocking it loose, lol. The soil explosion was minimal.

While I love the shape I’m realizing why plain standard tanks are shaped the way they are. A horizontal rectangle simply gives you more options. I could’ve gotten a single 20 long for a fraction of the cost, same amount of gallons total, and had a much wider selection of fish to keep. Live and learn.
Yeah, I mean you might find them together in the wild but that doesn't mean that that's how they are best suited. Honestly I think a trio of Heterandria formosa if you can find them, would be perfect for your setup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I mean you might find them together in the wild but that doesn't mean that that's how they are best suited. Honestly I think a trio of Heterandria formosa if you can find them, would be perfect for your setup.
They’re actually on my list of possibilities. And I used to keep some in a tank with pygmy cories. There was so much cuteness, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts