Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've been messing around with the same problem (which I think is some kind of Ca blocking by Mg and/or K.) I have been mixing my fairly hard tap water with RO/DI water to keep my Mg levels down (<10 ppm Mg, probably lower right now.) Ca is around 40ppm. I replaced my KNO3 with CaNO3, and KH2PO4 with Fleet enema (NaH2PO4/Na2HPO4); no addition of K2SO4 or MgSO4. The only addition of K or Mg is the small amount that is in the Flourish I dose. Haven't seen any signs of K deficiencies yet.

The Ca deficiency has improved in many plants that had symptoms, and as a side effect, my ramshorn snails are now showing normal new shell growth instead of white pitted shells. I just got some beautiful new shoots appearing from my sad, dark, stunted Rotala wallichi. However, my Nesea crassicaulus still has some slightly crinkled leaf growth and Ammania senegalensis remains completely deformed (I might just toss it.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
In the past when i didn't have any problems i had very low PO4 and NO3... Plants grew like crazy. After switching to high PO4 and NO3 the problems i described occured.
Were you using KNO3 and KH2PO4 to raise these levels? Maybe these pushed your K too high. I also developed the deformed leaf problem when I started dosing more regularly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts