Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
These are very interesting findings. I may try using just calcium carbonate to increase my RO water to 40 ppm KH as CaCO3. (Right now I use a combination of CaCO3 and K2CO3.)

Aquariumlandscapes.net sells a potassium test kit that only tests K levels between 1 - 2 ppm. They have always maintained that 1 or 2 ppm K is ideal for a planted tank.

kekon, I commend your efforts with experimenting, testing, and researching. Changing individual micronutrient levels and observing results... this is what the hobby needs more of.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I know ADA recommends daily dosing of potassium (Brighty K), but I don't know how concentrated Brighty K is. It's also intended to be used with Aqua Soil, which basically pulls in positively charged ions (like K) from the water column.

It's looking more and more like "leaner is better" when it comes to the water column... kind of the opposite of EI if you ask me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I can't remember where I read this, but it's something to think about and/or experiment with...

In cases where potassium is blocking calcium uptake in some plants, it may only happen when the CO2 levels are greater than 20 ppm.

Again I can't remember where I read that...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Somewhere I read a post from Tom Barr who said he no longer recommends dosing K2SO4 and said to let the only source for K come from KNO3 and KH2PO4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts