Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK guys, let's see what happens after lowering PO4. As Defdac has already said it seems it helps. Anyway, now i'm going towards low levels (at least PO4). A year ago i had 2..5 ppm NO3 and not detectable PO4 (say 0.1 ppm max) and plants grew like crazy; no burned, stunted tips, no deformed leaves. At that time i didn't know the word "nutrient deficiency"

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
OK guys, let's see what happens after lowering PO4. As Defdac has already said it seems it helps. Anyway, now i'm going towards low levels (at least PO4). A year ago i had 2..5 ppm NO3 and not detectable PO4 (say 0.1 ppm max) and plants grew like crazy; no burned, stunted tips, no deformed leaves.
Sure it will help.
Daily dosing of NO3, PO4, K, Mg and Trace Elements while maintaining daily water column levels of 0.1-0.25 ppm PO4, 5-10 ppm NO3, 1-10 ppm K, 1-3 ppm Mg and less CO2 will fix the problem. But it is impossible to achieve with EI.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In the past when i didn't have any problems i had very low PO4 and NO3... Plants grew like crazy. After switching to high PO4 and NO3 the problems i described occured.
Were you using KNO3 and KH2PO4 to raise these levels? Maybe these pushed your K too high. I also developed the deformed leaf problem when I started dosing more regularly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I used commercial NPK fertilizer which consisted KH2PO4, KHCO3 and very little NH4. I estimated i had dosed about 1.5 ppm K daily. I didn't know what the exact K level was in the water column but i think it was about 10..15 ppm. I emphasize that the strange thing was that despite low Ca (about 13 ppm) and "decent K", i didn't have issues with twisting, deforming etc. Plants grew faster at low PO4 and NO3 levels than they do now at high ones. I think that dosing too high PO4 we just give our plants a "painful kick" making them unable to take enough amounts of Ca (it doesn't mean i'm right but if lower PO4 helps - and i hope it will - i will no longer dose high PO4). On the whole it seems to me Edward's suggestions and PPS method are better and safer than EI.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Somewhere I read a post from Tom Barr who said he no longer recommends dosing K2SO4 and said to let the only source for K come from KNO3 and KH2PO4.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
So, i see clear improvement now:

- NO deformed leaves on alternatera reineckii
- fewer burned tips on umbrosum

All things happened when i stopped to dose NO3 form Ca(NO3)2... When NO3 was 5ppm plants began to grow healthier. I didn't change K levels. It's 10 ppm all the time.
However the total growth is not too fast yet. Maybe Ca(NO3)2 is not very good source of NO3 (as i remember Edward reported he had issues with Ca(NO3)2 salt)
The strange thing is that i see higher demand for iron now; i have Fe deficiency (pale and white leaves on umbrosum, pale leaves on Blyxa japonica). I added 0,2 ppm Fe and 0,1 ppm Mn and Blyxa is recovering from the deficiency. At the same time i noticed EDTA Fe chelator is not very good.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.