Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be settin gup large aquariums (500-3000 gallons), i want to plant them, can somone clearup CO2? how do i test if levels are correct? what are correct levels? whats up with having no filter?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I think Ryan pretty much covered the basics you need to know in his reply to your other thread ;)

As mentioned there, CO2 usage will be dictated by the amount of light you have over your tanks. There are many methods people use to determine CO2 levels with the drop checker being the most accurate at this time. Currently, the desired level for CO2 in a planted aquarium is 30ppm. Much higher than this and the fish begin to gasp at the surface, much lower and plant growth slows and algae growth begins. However, a few people out there do use lower CO2 levels successfully. It really can be a fine line trying to determining CO2 levels in our tanks given our current testing methods, especially if you want a specific number.

I'm not a big fan of not using a filter in my planted tanks but I have used power heads for water circulation. In a CO2 injected tank, you need some sort of method for circulating the CO2 rich water around the tank. This can be either a filter, power head, or pump of some sort but getting the CO2 enriched water even distributed around the tank is a necessity.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I have splashed around in swimming pools a lot in my life, but now I'm going to be doing high diving. I plan to start by diving off the Golden Gate Bridge. Does anyone have any tips for me?:p

Yes, I'm joking, but the idea of starting a 3000 gallon tank as a first planted tank isn't much different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts