Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt at planted tanks so I would like some critiques on this scape (if it can be considered one!). I was thinking about puttingin a "river" coming out from the middle of the center DW. Let me know what you guys think. Iw ill post an after trim pic tonight but I did trim the l. aromatica so that it now has a slope from the left edge down to only a couple of inches where the ludwigia starts.

Here it is:

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I think the tank has alot of potentional, but right now the focal point is dead center and it doesn't really look like the plants are supporting it. I think you need to move the driftwood to the left off-center and then build your midground off that so there's a good transition to all the nice stems you have in there to the foreground.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I agree with houseofcards, and I'd pull the sword (in the back right corner) over some and just ahead of the background. This would create a secondary focal point and you can also build around that.

Aside from any critique, the plants look great and it's a wonderful start for your fisrt attempt. I've re-arranged my scape 4 times before coming up with something I like and draws my attention throughout the scape. Keep playing with different ideas and it will come to you. These long, thin tanks are hard to scape because they lack good opportunity for depth.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
You might want to try scooching the log to the left so that it is a little off cent. Take your crypts that are to the left and plant them in that center curve of your log.

Your murdannia would look great to the right barely in front of the L. aromatica. (keep growing it and triming until you get a nice showy stand of it :D)

Love where you have the blyxa and your background plants. Just that one little blyxa in the right corner looks kinda like it lost it's way:rolleyes: I think Dave's idea about the sword was good unless it will get too tall. I don't know what variety you have there. If it needs to be in the back due to it's height then you may end up choosing between plants.

I see another log on the right. It's hard to see it. I think you need to move it to make it more visible.

You really have done amazing for your first scape. You have great bones here. I think just with a little tweaking it's gonna be great. I'm impressed! :tea:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off thanks for your comments.

house: Thanks, I know what you mean by the focal point being in the center. It's actually done that way on purpose because right now (you can't see it) there is an a. reneckii roseafolia growing in the hole of the center DW. I am hoping that eventually this will be the focal point which is just right of center (you can just barely see a spot of red behind the nana petites on the right bottom of the center DW). Hope this will all come together in a few weeks when it grows up. I will try to grow the Purple Bamboo in the front now closer to he left side and make a stand of it.

Dave: I also know this is hard to see as the Lindernia has gone crazy but there is a peice of moss covered DW just in front of the Kleiner Bar Sword. I have trimmed the Lindernia and I am going to keep it low as a transition point for the background like house suggested. Do you think I should remove the driftwood and place the sword in it's place?

Tex: BTW that sword on the right is the tiny baby Kleiner Bar that I got from you about 5 months ago. It is putting out at least 1 leaf per week and they are getting bigger. How long before it starts to put out babies?

There is also another long log on the left where the java fern is attached and in front of the L aromatica. It is also moss covered (fissidens fontinalis). No murdannia just purple bamboo but I get what you mean. I'll do that the next time I go in for a water change.

About the blyxa on the right, he did lose his way. I just had no more space for it so I stuck it there to not throw it out.

To all: Thanks again to all of you for your thoughts and advice. I wouldn't be where I am without the help and ideas from this site and all of you guys.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I think the Kleiner bar will need to get a little bigger before it sends out babies. I love those plants. They have beautiful color. It will eventually need more space. But hey - that's step two of your scape! :D

You might want to find a way to make your DW more visible. The are always such a nice accent! :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree this tank has a lot of potential. I think there is too many stem plants. I think when some of those anubis grow up this will even it self out. Nice tank!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts