Aquatic Plant Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Esha Exit seems to be really expensive in the US, so it's probably out of the question for you guys anyway. I bought it for about 10usd and it's one of the cheapest Ich meds around here.

Thank you for your comments about the ingredients and salt recommendation. I am always a bit reluctant to add salt to the main tank with plants, so if it's necessary to treat the whole tank (as with Ich), I prefer "safe" meds and use salt for single fish treatment only.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
Thanks for clarification. (A lot of things will cure Ich, including just moving the fish to a new tank every 24 hours, as in the "Transfer Method.")

The main thing, though, is that you got rid of the Ich in your fish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The salt method didn't seem to be working. Then I noticed in my display tank ich appearing on my tetras. Next, I went to PetSmart and purchased API's Super Ick Cure and dosed it first in the main tank then the following day in my QT tank when I was sure the lyretails were not getting better.

That was 3 days ago for the main tank and 2 days ago for the QT. Everyone in the main tank looks excellent, all spots are now gone. Even the nerite snails survived the treatment. Plants appeared unaffected and the Aponogeton boivinianus is still growing at a super fast rate. It is even larger now than when I took these pictures on Friday.

I lost 1 lyretail shortly after starting the API treatment, it was just too weak by that point I think. The spots got really bad on them. The other lyretail seems to be in great health now and looks much better. The long-tailed swordtail died for unknown reasons. I suspect that is what introduced ich to that tank as it came from the same tank as the lyretails at the store. It was just showing no signs of ich so I left it in the display tank. When it died it was not covered in any visible signs of ich.

In the future, I will QT all new fishies in the 10g tank for one week. Might as well I have all the needed equipment.

FTS

Nerite Snail

Some growth in the Aponogeton boivinianus

the tetras, you can see the receding ich spots

one of two blueboi bossmanis

a mollie i believe

floating stems

the spread of the big poppy

right side

left side

plant pic

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
Thanks for the update. It is useful information, plus knowing that 0.1% salt didn't work. I'm so glad that the API Super Ich Cure worked!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
oops accidentally did two pics of the right side. Oh well haha. thanks you two! Yeah i like to keep my tank journal updated with everything I do so others (and myself) can use it as a reference in the future.

If you want to learn how to go from knowing nothing to having a successful reef tank I have a thread for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I have one lyretail left, started with two in QT. It still has some sort of white spot ina couple places on its fin. I will attach a pic tomorrow.

The fish in the DT are completely clear of ich! Lost no one from there. All look very healthy and my blue boys are getting bigger and bluer every day.

The plants have grown quite a lot. The Aponogeton boivinianus is huge now! It could easily stretch it leaves the full 48" of the tank if I pulled them straight. The lud and the stem plant have both reached the water's surface on both sides of the tank. The duckweed has grown a whole bunch! I love the stuff so I am happy about that. I never even added it to my tank. After a couple weeks of having plants, I noticed one of the little guys. You will see how many there are now with the new pictures.

For now, I am just letting things grow before I add any more fish or plants. For next fish, I am planning on adding three panda angelfish. I have decided to QT future purchases for a few days at least since I have the equipment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Grumbles no one posts pictures when they say they will! Haha sorry I am one of these people as well. I think the lyretail is good to go back to the display, but I would like some input on that. With these pictures, please scroll back up to the picture of the floating stems/duckweed as this new pic is VERY different. I also picked up 7 more fish today. 6x guppies. 3x dumbo ear 3x blue Moscow. 1x the blue eye yellow bushy face pleco. A small fellow at about 2" right now. Already very active and I can see his clean marks on my mag-float as he makes them. Very cool to watch.

The pics didn't come out as well this time, I am still quite the novice when it comes to DLSR's and taking quality pictures.

FTS

blueboi

two guys

new pleco

tetra check in

dumbo ear gup

left side

centerish

right side

top of right side

top of left side

floating plants

ready to go back?

I believe he is, I don't think those marks are any sort of disease or infection. Scars perhaps? Damaged fins? Let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I added the lyretail back to the display. He looks very beautiful with the long fins. Will continue monitoring his health. I felt the DT was the best place for him to restore any dmg to his fins from his time in QT.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Will post a pic of this soon, the floating plants and duckweed have formed a decently solid platform. So much so the hydro sib from dutch much is growing out of it like it was soil!

Views and no comments, come peeps I know you're out there!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
long time no update!

This is just a quick one, with cell phone pics. so not really possible for me to capture my quick moving fish. As when i come to the tank, they all come out in case it is feeding time.

I feed them once per day, in the evening. That has been working well for me. I went thru a month of losing fish, to a marine velvet like disease. I have since added a UV, which i run whenever i add a fish and have had no loses since then.

Fish list is currently:

6x neon tetras
3x van rio tetras
3x assorted angelfish
2x turquoise rainbowfish
2x lyretail mollies ( or something)
2x fancy guppy, one male one female, surprisingly, no babies. guess they are not compatible? I got them from petsmart, not sure on specifics

plants are still going strong, at some point i will need to prune one back. I have started to do so.

FTS

left side

right side

middle

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Here is a tiny update.

I may be helping a coworker on his journey into the blue world. Going to possibly start with a 10g tank (also my first tank) and use this wonderful method. Thank you @Diane Walstad for pioneering and also making it well known on the internet!

Here is the first FTS i have ever taken for this tank

Here is one from my Pixel 2 just a couple days ago.

And here is my current star of the tank

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thx a lot for this awesome thread! Your tank looks outstanding! That growth looks amazing. I found this forum only few days ago, and every thread inspires me alot to start my own "el natural" tank, I think I`ll do it in a month or two (even start to do som kind of estimate). Keep posting, your expiriense of setting up and maintaining NPT is realy helpful! Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Thx a lot for this awesome thread! Your tank looks outstanding! That growth looks amazing. I found this forum only a few days ago, and every thread inspires me a lot to start my own "el natural" tank, I think I`ll do it in a month or two (even start to do some kind of estimate). Keep posting, your experience of setting up and maintaining NPT is really helpful! Cheers
You are welcome! Thank you, kind sir/madam.

I create these build threads to help myself and to help others.

I put very little thought into plant placement. I think next time I will do more research, get my hardscape in, drain the water down, and use my tweezer set to plant the basically 80% of plants I want in the tank.

Build the plant scape off of the hardscape. Have a good layout of foreground, midground, and background plants.

I will probably do that in this tank at some point. I added a piece of that cypress driftwood I got a WHILE ago to my tank today. I will get a picture at some point. It is just chilling horizontally about 85% submerged.

It has been soaking in dechlorinated water this whole time. About 2 months ago I cut it into 3 pieces realizing that one massive piece just wasn't going to cut it. The 3 pieces came out really well and I think it will make for a better scape this way. I use a brick to keep the pieces submerged in the plastic trashcan. In this container, I also have a maxiJet 1200 running to keep the water agitated thus preventing bugs laying eggs in it.

I have had that pump since 2008. It's still going strong! Goodness does it put off some heat though. That is the best thing about new pumps. More silent and runs colder.

Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
That Angel Fish looks pretty sure of himself. I doubt that you'll ever see a baby guppy in a tank with Angelfish!

It looks like your stem plants are starting to retreat and the strong rooted plants (Amazon Swordplant and Crypts) are starting to fill in. This is a typical progression for many plant tanks.

I was very glad to hear that the fish deaths stopped.

Thanks for giving us an uplifting update!

81 - 100 of 129 Posts