Aquatic Plant Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
That angelfish has grown to 3x the size since I got him just about 3 months ago.

I have the livebearers to provide food for them (and any other fish) haha.

The stems plants were going banana's. I spent about an hour cutting it back to that area. I traded into one of my LFS for $75 of store credit. They have yet to resurge as strongly.

Harder to see in that FTS, but I added a Madagascar Lace to kind of balance what I call the lettuce plant on the left side of the tank. They are both quite large now. The Lace actually sent up a bloom after a month in my tank. That stem was almost 3 ft long!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I did a bit of clean up of the tank yesterday and cut the damaged/browned leaves off of my lettuce plant and its down to just 2 stems!

I think it is time for a clay fertilizing ball to be added to its roots.

Am I to just make this ball out of clay? Or a bit of clay and soil?

Meanwhile, the entire left side of the tank is looking a bit light, especially since the indica rotala and Madagascar lace are growing well.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I decided to leave the lettuce plant alone, and it sent up a few more stems, but not like in the past. It must have an enormous root system I am thinking. I will make a clay and dirtball fertilizer over the next week and will bury next to its base.

I am going to make 3 tiny balls, so I can get good coverage on where its base for sure is.

I gave the tank a much-needed service today and this is where we are at.

I started things off with a water change. I have since moved the tank from the living room to the guest room. That was about 3 months ago. So since it got about a 95% water change, this is its first one.

No longer as nicely located next to a window that has a flower bed underneath it, that avenue of watering that flowerbed with my 55g's "dirty" waterchange water was no more.

I opted to purchase a 20' vinyl hose and drained in thru a different window into a 5g bucket, then dump that onto flowers/plants.

Here you can see the power of gravity at work

A closeup of the bucket

And some low-quality tank pictures.

Of course my #1 homie Mr. Angelfish. He is the clear capo di tutti i capi (mafia for boss of all bosses) fish of the tank.

Here are two pictures of my second favorite fish, Mr. turquoise rainbowfish. There were two, but one grew and one didn't and then the one that didn't died. It makes me think it was two males and one became dominant and the other an outcast. Not all fish reassign nicely like wrasses and clownfish ;)

You can set his color quite clearly in this picture, and Mr. Angelfish is lurking in the background, since it's his tank after all.

And in this one you can see he is starting to get his mature body shape.

Below you will see that with the holding power of one brick broken in half, the nice bit of the wood finally sunk to the bottom of the tank.

I would estimate about one year of submerging that piece of (dry) Cypress wood to get it to this point. Most likely could have been done faster.
Left side of the tank.

Right side

FTS

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
Congratulations on getting the tank back on track after moving! I'm sure it was an ordeal and that the fish are as glad as you are to be settled in.

What are the particles in the water? (Otherwise, the tank looks quite nice.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Not the best quality but a then and now for my rainbow fish.

smol fish

More Recent

My angelfish spawned recently as well! They did not do well at all raising these. I think the next generation will be more successful.

Just the eggs

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Just a small update.

The female angelfish died after I added some mollies from pet smart :(

the male angelfish

the now massive Madagascar lace

this monster plant in the middle of the tank

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hello Guys wake up! I don't like talking to myself all that much!

Here are some cell phone pics I took today post giving the tank a lil lovin. Did a 25g water change, cleaned the filter, replaced the carbon. I also added a little koralia nano and the fish are loving the flow!

Here is a FTS

One of my yellow male mollies

This plant that has created it's own little forest!

The little powerhead that could

This is what the filter inside of my aquaclear looks like, I am on month 6 I think? It's just a big bacteria farm at this point. I just wash it under the tap to get gunk out.

And of course, the star of the show, Mr. Angelfish

Please let me know any thoughts you have about the tank!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
In the coming month or two I will be moving to GA. I have been thinking about this tank and where I want it to go.

Once I am employed again and living in my next home, I am going to start the process of cooking up some more dirt.

I am going to redo this tank, keeping only the plants I like and getting rid of the others. I am going to get some better driftwood and add rocks to make a decent hardscape.

I will order some more plants and actually plant them in a thought out manner. I will add more fish to bring the numbers up to where they should be.

How many angelfish should I have in this tank? I am thinking adding 3 more to have a total of 4. Will add 5 or so more rainbowfish and mollies at a ratio of 3/1 female to male to ensure lots of babies for the angels to eat.

This is the plan for now anyway. The only for sure details are adding more angelfish and relaunching the substrate with mas plants.

If there are any NPT must have plants you feel should be in the tank please comment them below and I will do my best to incorporate them!

Also please let me know your favorite or preferred vendor to buy live plants from!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Hello Everyone!

I am moving to Central FL to ATL, GA on 8/13. This tank is making the move as well.

This tank has done what I planned for it and that is shown me the basics of the NPT and where it can go.

As a result, once I am gainfully employed again (COVID) I am going to relaunch this tank. New substrate, new wood, and new plants. Now that I know so much more about scaping these tanks, the direction will be rainbowfish and angels. I will try to achieve a scape that allows enough room for their movements.

I love how cheap these tanks are to stock and will be get these changes done as fast as I can. The new home also has room for a garden pond so I will be building one to house some shebukin goldfish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have decided not to relaunch the tank, but rather work with what I have already. That said I may add some new driftwood to it. I am hoping after a few years submerged my cypress is ready to not float. Will remove the bricks soon and find out.

Unfortunately when I moved from FL>GA and placed the tank in the basement, I didn't really think about needing a bigger heater. Temp dropped to 63 degrees for many weeks, killing my large angelfish :(. During this time I was focused on the reef tank. Not an excuse and I still feel awful, as I grew that lil guy from size of a quarter to size of my hand.

Tank sat with no fish for a month or two after bringing temp up to 78. Tank now has 3x quarter sized marble angelfish and 3x guppies (2x female 1x male). There is no better food for my angels than livebearer fry!

I am hoping to pump up the livebearer numbers, and I also want to get 3-5 rainbow fish in here. Those are my favorite fw fish I think.

In an effort to make do with what I already have, I am go to replant the left side of the tank, about 18" of length. I want to actually do some back/mid/fore plants here. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking larger swords for the back, but no idea of the mid or foreground.

Some low quality cell pics below so you can see where the tank is at now. You can see it is heavily dominated by a few species.

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
Looks like you've got your tank going again. Crypts look very healthy. Maybe a few more Crypt species?

The last picture shows some clumps of matt algae. I would get in there with an old toothbrush and pull it out.

That Amazon swordplant to the right of the Crypts doesn't look like it's doing very well. I would try to get it fixed up. You could try putting it into its own pot with soil or add a substrate fertilizer [i.e., push short (1/4 inch) pieces of Job's houseplant sticks around its root perimeter].

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Thanks Diane. I will add some fert for for the sword. I could tell its looking weak. I will look up some other crypt species, as those are doing very well. Grew from one plant if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I am planning on giving this tank some loving this weekend. I have some calcium powder I will make some balls out of and place with the struggling sword.

I found a local person who sold me 6x young rainbow fish for $3 each! Looks like a mix of bossmani and turquoise. He also sold me 3x young guppies, very pretty parents. I think the smallest got munched soon after entering the tank. The other two are large enough to avoid that fate I believe.

But this got me thinking, I was going to set up a shrimp tank but instead I think I will set up a 10g el natural guppy growout tank. This way I can farm them for sale and for food very easily.

I also got a few vals I planted in the back left corner of the tank.

I am really hoping the rainbows all grow up!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I ordered 50x of the Rob sticks for the sword and any other ailing plant in the future. Hoping to get out this weekend or the next and find some more crypt species to add.

The calcium powder I have is calcium montmorillonite clay for pond clarity and color. So I sprinkled it across the top. I used this in the soil when I first started. I will do this sprinkle for a while and see if I notice any changes.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts