Aquatic Plant Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
thank you Seadreamer!

I did a 10g water change, removed the plant on the right side, added a single half inch job stick to the sword, removed the bricks on the cypress wood, and sucked out some of the dirt/mulm that is on top of the sand.

I reached out to a fellow on craiglist about a school of red minor tetras he has for sale. They look quite nice so hopefully he doesn't want too much for them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
What's that? It's time for another low quality photo update! The glass still needs to be cleaned, and there still is a long way to go, but I think it looks much better now.

FTS Before

FTS After

Largest Angel

Baby Gup

New Vals

Potato Shot of the Rainbow school

I am so so excited for the rainbows to color up. It looks like I have 3 different kinds in the school of 6 I have.

Some FTS over the life of the tank

·
Super Moderator
2,669 Posts
Last photo shows a beautiful tank. Swordplant looks much happier!

Is that a Aponogeton madagascariensis hiding in the background? Such an exotic plant. (It's the one plant I always wanted!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Yes I believe it was. Those pictures are from a while ago. Both that and the madagascar lace did great then died. Would putting a fert stick in their roots kept them alive?

·
Super Moderator
2,669 Posts
I could not tell which pictures were taken when and don't know what FTS is.

(Folks, you only need to show a 2-3 pictures to give us the idea.)

A. madagascariensis needs a rest period and cool water temperature. I don't think fertilizer would have helped.

However, fertilizer sticks (containing N,P,K, etc) should have helped with the Amazon Swordplant. If it died, it suggests that there's not enough calcium in the water. Have you checked your GH? What is your water source?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
finally, this site got an update!

My water source is city, hose to be exact. I don't know what GH is.. haha. FTS is full tank shot. That was an FTS over the tanks life post..

·
Super Moderator
2,669 Posts
My water source is city, hose to be exact. I don't know what GH is.
GH is a measure of how much calcium and magnesium is in your water. Amazon swordplants, in particular, need to have calcium in water. Possibly, your city water is softwater with little calcium. If you are happy with your tank and plant growth, GH doesn't matter. If you think there's room for improvement, I would learn what GH is and find out what the hardness is of your city water.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts