Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!! I'm new to the board so i thought I'd introduce me and my tank. I have been into freshwater tanks for about 20 yrs I have always had real plants I never saw the benefit of fake other than they never die but they do grow algea which they might as well die at that point. anyway When i was younger I would just buy new plants as they died . The past 8 yrs or so I started trying to keep them alive and I have turned a stress free easy hobby into a not so stress free, fun, and fullfilling hobby. It one of the things I like to do so now here is my tank, its been set up for about 2 yrs but alot of it is a carry over from many years of my original 20L being set up.

Its a old 55 gal, multi layer substrate, 64 watts lights (2 4' t-8s) in original gutted light strip, need to upgrade, 1 liter yeast co2, ehiem classic canister (only the best :D ). fluval surface extractor (awsome, nomore scum),
at time of these pictures I had more fish than my current setup. this year I lost my 6" rainbow shark to old age, all 4 dwarf gourmis at different time though out the year to dieses of some sort, and i think thats it.
current inhabitants: fat kooli loach, 3 black skirts, female cherry barb, 6 serpea tetras, 3 spot gourami aquired this weekend from mother-in-law, 5" lace cat, 7" pleco, dwarf pleco (i think a clown), 2 cardinal tetras, gaurammas found those a few months ago.

plants: java fern on 2 seperate pieces of driftwood, java moss, dwarf sag (i think), stupid duck weed!!, 2 plants that i don't know the names.

And finally here are pics.
Let me know what ya think. oh ya these pics are a little over a year old thats the newwest i have here at work.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
What a lovely tank Chris. would like to see your current tank picture :lol:. Surely its a great accomplishment for being able to keep the plants for so many years, and to have fish died of old age too :lol: :lol:

--budi--

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budi,
Thanks for the compliments. It was a sad day when we found our rainbow shark dead he was 6" and about 6-7 yrs old thats why we think it was old age. My tank currently doesn't look that great I haven't kept up with making new co2 and really need to reaplace the bulbs so plant growth hasn't been to good. I'll try to get a updated pic up tonight.

Chris

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Welcome to APC, Chris!

You have a pleasant community tank and, as BudiPT pointed out, you have obviously given your fish a comfortable place to live for them to die of old age.

However, looking at the plants, I feel like they could use a bit of a pick me up. I don't know if its the lighting, but the Hygrophila polysperma looks weak and very yellowish. Would like to know your fertilization regimen.

Carlos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsunami thank you....
and you are right the plants do need some more ummph.. its lighting more than likely. When both the plants on the left get about 4" from the top they start turning orange. I only have 2 t-8 32 watters crammed in what was once a single light strip. I did have to move the ballast to the outside of the strip. The bulbs I bought last year or longer are Sylvania 5,000k they were cheap and close enuogh to the temp I wanted. I did notice that after about 7 months plant growth slowed rether quickly even staying on top of the co2 didn't help thats one reason I slacked off on co2 until I got new lights. I do get pearling all day usually starting about 30 minutes after lights on so they are getting desent light. Ferts I was using leaf zone (didn't car for it), then flora pride (so so) now i'm using seachem flourish something not sure which one. At the time of the pics I believe it was flora pride. I also shove some plant tabs into the sand. I really like the Flourish.

I don't think the plant to the far left is Hygrophila polysperma, my plant doesn't have the leaf modeling, I got it with some java moss that i bought so it was a complete hithicker. They plant starts folding closed about 15 min before lights out and opens back up after lights on. Its an intresting plant that after 1 1/2" yrs I'm still tring to figure out the best way to keep it trimmed. I would be intrested in what the plant really is

Went by LFS at lunch and picked up one new light and also put on hold 4 amano shrimp that they got this week.. I have been looking for these guys local for a few years. Nowif I can just find some peacock gudgeons.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I only have 2 t-8 32 watters crammed in what was once a single light strip. I did have to move the ballast to the outside of the strip. The bulbs I bought last year or longer are Sylvania 5,000k they were cheap and close enuogh to the temp I wanted. I did notice that after about 7 months plant growth slowed rether quickly even staying on top of the co2 didn't help thats one reason I slacked off on co2 until I got new lights. I do get pearling all day usually starting about 30 minutes after lights on so they are getting desent light.
That is not a lot of light. Only 2x32w bulbs over a 55 gallon? You barely have more than 1 wpg. I'd recommend retrofitting your light strip with a pair of 2x55w power compacts from www.ahsupply.com

Never slack off on your CO2. :)

Ferts I was using leaf zone (didn't car for it), then flora pride (so so) now i'm using seachem flourish something not sure which one. At the time of the pics I believe it was flora pride. I also shove some plant tabs into the sand. I really like the Flourish.
How much are you adding? I personally use Flourish for lower light setups.

I don't think the plant to the far left is Hygrophila polysperma, my plant doesn't have the leaf modeling, I got it with some java moss that i bought so it was a complete hithicker. They plant starts folding closed about 15 min before lights out and opens back up after lights on. Its an intresting plant that after 1 1/2" yrs I'm still tring to figure out the best way to keep it trimmed. I would be intrested in what the plant really is
I assure you that your plant is just plain jane Hygrophila polysperma --the original, regular green variety. The H. polysperma that has white veins/mottling on its leaves is the 'Sunset' or 'Rosanervis' variety. The plant immediately to its right is Rotala rotundifolia.

Congratulations on finding the Amano shrimp. I love watching them, and their antics.

Carlos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The light upgrade... its on the agenda to do. My wife is the type that if it ain't broke why upgrade.trust me i have thought of "opps i just dropped my canopy and broke it" and several other things. so thats one reason and the other is she want me to build a hood then I can add all the light I want. A hood won't take to long to build but its not high on the priority list. We had our land timbered last year and I have spent most of my time trying to level the land to make pasture for the overgown equine lawn mowers. So yes I know I have very low light but I don't think it isnt doing to bad for low light. I'm actualy thinking of doing maybe 2x70w halides with supplimental PC's when and if I build a new hood.

Ferts I dose by what the botle says.
Thanks for the plant ID.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts