Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first try at a large planted tank and I'm just not satisfied with the look and need some expert advice. The left side is my problem area and that is where I need the most help but opinions on the tank as a whole are welcomed.

1) The rear corners do not get enough light and inturn the plants do not grow well in those area.

2) I plan on removing the small driftwood from the left side and fill in with plants and maybe add some rocks.

3) I also was thinking of adding a rock terrace in the left rear corner due to not enough light in that area. Also I will be removing the flower pots they are just temporary.

Any comments on the above thoughts?

The light fixture is a Coralife PC w/130 watts total. I run 2 DIY C02 pop bottles (planning on a DIY pressurized in the future).

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the water spots on the glass I was to lazy to clean the glass before taking the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I don't think rock work will improve the appearance of this aquarium, unless you can work it in a seamless whole with the larger piece of driftwood.

A bare rock terrace would look very unnatural. Have you tried planting Anubias and/or Cryptocorynes in the low light areas?

You have a very narrow footprint to work with (13in), so you need to be frugal with the front to back space. Some questions I would ask myself when aquascaping a tank would be:

What do I want my tank to look like? Can I do it in the space provided?

How can I congeal my aquascape into something that works as a seamless whole? How can I tie my aquascape together instead of occassionally adding another element or two which may or may not improve the appearance of my aquarium?

Just a few thoughts. If you need any more help, ask away,

Carlos

·
Registered
199 Posts
tsunami said:
A bare rock terrace would look very unnatural. Have you tried planting Anubias and/or Cryptocorynes in the low light areas?
I have Crypt Spiralis in one corner of my 55g and it took off with no problems. My 55g definitely gets shaded in the corners as well and so I went with the crypt in the corner like Carlos just suggested. I would look for a crypt to put in the corner if at all possible.

Matt

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thinking of J. Senske's nice article in the current issue of The Aquatic Gardener (a cheap and worthwhile subscription), I would suggest looking into some Anubias, both the nana variety and a petite variety which you can attach to small rocks or small pieces of driftwood. That gives you some ability to move plants around while working out where the design is heading. Anubias can add some interest to the area between fore- and background and provide some undulation in bottom shape.

The art of dealing with 12.5" tanks is to create an illusion of 'depth' - very much as painters use shade and light to trick the viewer into believing a flat canvas is a 3D landscape.....

Andrew Cribb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts