Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 56 gallon tank, which measures 36X18X24. I really like the size of the tank and just the whole feel of this operation, with the exception of the center brace. I use a 150 watt Coralife HQI Metal Halide light that has the lovely hang on clamp. Now my problem is that I cannot get the pendant dead center on the tank, the center brace is in the way for the clamp. So I have two options now, buy another and use two on the tank upping the wattage to 300w or just using it alittle off center. Now my last question is, if I do use the light alittle off center will I be getting alot of light into the tank? 150/56= 2.67 WPG, which is fine in theory but will I be able to get all those watts into the tank? Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hi there!
I'm thinking that calling us ignorant is not a good way to get input....
Personally, I didn't ignore it, I just can't answer it. I'd help if I could. Maybe try posting it in Lighting.
Good luck!
:)

Woops, my bad, it is in lighting.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would DIY a t5 fixture, maybe using 6 t5 bulbs but alternating which side they are on to make sure the sides get enough light.

See what i mean. Metal halide is not going to work with a brace right in front of it, besides t5 is much more even and cooler in temp.

You should be more polite in your messages

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys, I cut off the center brace. Went out and bought a 16 3/4" X 2" X 1/2" piece of poly carbonate glass which is advertised as 10 times stronger than acrylic. Light shines cleanly throughout my tank now but I still wonder if 150 watts is enough for what I want to do. I came across something on catalina, and this fixture is EXTREMELY tempting.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1444

Thank you everybody for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Theres no 30" fixtures on the website you linked. Guys here are pics of the finished product. I fabricated the light alittle so it could clamp on regardless of the center brace. I removed the plastic centerbrace and used the poly carbonate glass which lets light shine right through!! Enjoy and thanks again!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.