Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
DataGuru said:
That's a Diana question. :)

Seems like soils tend to get acidic at first and then return to neutral over time as the soil gets used to being submerged.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary. and you're right. Bettas like softer lower pH water.

I would think that water in NPTs would get harder over time from evaporation and topping off. They shouldn't have the issues normal tanks have with KH getting used up by the biofilter bacteria and pH slipping down over time. From what I've read tho, in heavily planted tanks, you see larger pH swings daily with lower KH. and in some cases if the water is low in calcium, pH may move above 8.4.
The water in my NPT has gotten softer and more acidic over time. KH dropped to 0 and pH was so low it was unreadable. Though, that may have been due to overstocking....

-ricardo

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tentacles said:
Re Jimbo's question from long ago:

The reason bettas are such great fish for still unfiltered tanks is that they have a labyrinth organ and don't rely on drawing oxygen from the water. As long as the air above the tank is humid, they're happy.

There are many kinds of fish with similar organs. Paradise fish and gouramis also have labyrinth organs, I think. What is the term you need to search, "Anabantoids"? Is that right, someone?

Oooh look... link explaining the labyrinth organ:
http://en.mimi.hu/aquarium/labyrinth_organ.html
The air doesn't necessarily have to be humid, although that's probably better for them. I keep mine in uncovered tanks w/ no problems, even getting them to reproduce.

Other fish to consider would be killifish...

-ricardo

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I think you, Betty, and I should share our mini planted betta tanks on some betta forums to encourage others to house their bettas happily!
Yes! I believe that would fit well under the Nano thread!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I have not posted updates on my 'experiments' because I did not want to cause fellow hobbyists to cry. :crybaby:

I give my wife credit for not having 'cleaned' these up along with many other things in the kitchen, backporch, yard and house. The fact that she has not tossed these into the trash means it has either escaped her radar or some act of God on her mind so she just never 'sees' them. Believe me, if she did, they would have been long gone.

Obviously, there is something else that I am not 'getting' yet about what needs to be done. Honestly, I just don't have time currently to research for hours what else to do.

The Rotala Rotundifolia Green grows like a weed in every other tank. In these, it has very small spots where it grows out of the water, but the rest of the vase/bowl/tank and plant looks like hell. I put them outside hoping more sun would help the soil and plant do whatever nature intended them to do without my miracle Seachem. :(

Meanwhile in my other tanks, the Rotala has grown so much so fast again, that it is past due for a 2nd harvesting. The Local Fish Stores let me exchange my harvest for supplements. I love that. But it is also extremely time consuming. I don't want to admit to my wife and boss how much time I spend on this hobby.

I loved the link to the Planted Betta Bowls! That looked wonderful.

In the future I look forward to how to grow natural aquariums. Tentacles, this is just one of the many reasons I have that separate thread about 'teachers'. I look forward to learning more from you ladies and gentlemen in the future.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I need another tank like I nee da hole in the head... BUT, I won a little 5 gallon bowfront as a door prize at our last club meeting. I set it up as a NPT of course. LOL
e tennellus, two varieties of crypts, and some anubias. with some najas grass, water lettuce and hornwort floating. it has a 20 watt compact fluorescent over it and gets direct sunlight part of the day. It's home for a new betta boy.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Oh.... I love it.

My next stage in this hobby is shipping out my trimmings RAOK (Random Acts of Kindness - I am told)
in exchange for those plants you mention.

This in not in my immediate future. I still have to get to the Vets' office to pick up some of their Styrofoam lined boxes. (What a great idea that was Betty!)

I am just not used to the luxury of a variety of plants like others; where I live.

But seeing your tank gives me inspiration to take my son's Hermit Crab Tank (similar shape to yours) and convert it into a Betta Bowl. (I'll have to check the light hood fixture.)

Betty, you educate and motivate! :smile:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yea.. he's a manly man. LOL

I do have a black female with red finnage, but he's just going to have to be celebate. Like I need more fish! mutt veiltails even. I would like to have a herd of female bettas in the 125 tho. That'd be sweet.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I do have a black female with red finnage, but he's just going to have to be celebate. Like I need more fish! mutt veiltails even. I would like to have a herd of female bettas in the 125 tho. That'd be sweet.
I will eventually learn from you how to do this.

I checked out my son's hermit crab 'house'. Same tank. Same light fixture.
It will work. Now I just need to get the Calcium Carbonate Sand out and start planning THIS tank.
My wife will kill me. My plants are slowly spreading over the house.

By the way, calcium carbonate sand CAN be used in naturally planted tank, correct? (I have been trying to find it in the stores for ages, and it is right in my own house!)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Jimbo -

Yes you can... as long as its for purpose - you must be aware that it will heavily buffer the water.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My understanding is that bettas like soft water with pH in the high 6s. At most, I'd sprinkle some in with the soil and use a small gravel to top it off.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I think one of my Java Ferns is having Potassium deficiency (black holes in middle of leaf). Where do you find someone that knows where to find that stuff called 'potash'? Or do you just dose a small amount of Seachem Potassium?

I won't add the Calcium Carbonate unless I need to. My water is 7.4 and the hardness is medium hard (the actual number is in my profile and I honestly forget what the # is).

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Turn black? Or get holes in the middle of the leaves?

These Java Ferns in my 9 Cup Betta Vase @ Home are the most perfect I have ever grown.
They are not huge, but they have been spotless and NO ALGAE at all on them ever. It has been amazing.

The only tank I have had in the past where I did nothing except feed the Betta!

Before this Nano/Pico I had not known before that this was possible.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Betty - Have you seen my latest marketing pitch based on your idea of getting boxes from the local vets office? That was a FANTASTIC idea by the way. Get the PERFECT PLANT shipping box and RECYCLE at the same time.

You really are a genius!

By the way, it has 123 views and 3 replies so far. 41 views per reply. Not bad.

I will need some help marketing this idea much more. Any ideas?
Do you think someone would make it into a sticky?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
41 - 60 of 68 Posts