Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to do this for a while. This is a rimless 6 gallon tank. Substrate is ADA amazonia regular and ADA Bright sand. I also use Ohko stones. Lighting is a 28 watt coralife aqualight 10,000k bulb. Cave is made out of steel mesh encased with waterfall foam. I am planning on putting some Apistogramma Borelli's into this tank. The dimensions of the tank is 18x8x10.

Tank on initial fill after planting

Picture inside the cave

Final after running a diatom filter for about 20 minutes

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ian, that might be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Very original and unique. You must have a lot of time on your hands. Are you planning on breeding your apistos, or just keeping them? Are you experienced in breeding? If so I suggest A. nijsenni (sp.). Those are really challenging and rewarding (so says my friend).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I only work like 3-4 days a week. I had today off so I went into Aqua Forest, got some ohko stone and ada Bright sand. This whole process took a couple of months to set up and to get all the supplies.
mrbelvedere138 said:
Ian, that might be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Very original and unique. You must have a lot of time on your hands. Are you planning on breeding your apistos, or just keeping them? Are you experienced in breeding? If so I suggest A. nijsenni (sp.). Those are really challenging and rewarding (so says my friend).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow...I have agree, it is pretty orginal! I never thought of that! One thing though: How will you clean the inside of the cave? (ex: fish detritus, plant junk...)

·
Registered
412 Posts
That is really cool. The pump inside the cave is a pretty good idea, I didn't see it before either. That tank will be really fun to observe. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Very cool!... How did I miss this one the first time around... Do you have any updated pictures?... Have the Apisto's breed for you?

·
Registered
122 Posts
it's coming along. Hope your thread algae problem is a thing of the past. Let us see some more pix... Can you easily see inside the cave during the day? I think my lobster would LOVE that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your foreground's interesting, Pogostemon Helferi, HC and etc's looking gr8... Can't wait till your background fills out :) Btw, hope you don't mind me saying but do you think the red stem plant on the extreme left's a little large for this tank... Just a thought, that's all :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts