Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The layout isn't finalised, as it's an experimental tank where I will implement new ideas on a regular basis.

Carbon is supplied by Easy-Life Easycarbo, rather than CO2. Growth is approx. 4x slower than when CO2 injected, yet I can grow 'demanding' plants.

Light is 2 x 24w T5 for 7 hours.
I dose a combo of Easy-Life and Tropica products for micros and macros.
Filter is a Superfish Pro 4 (1550lph) with 12mm glassware (16-12mm reducers at glassware end).
Substrate is black quartz 1-2mm with Tropica stuff underneath.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome!!! How long did it took you to develop this tank. Have the same 2 x 24wT5 lights but my plants seems to asking for more....

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Amazing George! Did you have CO2 in the beginning then remove it once the tank was established? Do you dose the ferts leaner than a CO2 tank because of the slower growth rates?

Your filter specs suggest you have a typhoon in that tank! The turnover rate for a 60 cm tank must be like 20x per hr! I am surprise that your plants are not being blown around.

Is this intentional for non-CO2 setups?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful tank! Is Easy-Life Easycarbo the same as Excel? I'm surprised you can get away with not using CO2.
Thanks!

Yes, Easycarbo is very similar to Excel.

I was surprised I could 'get away' with non-CO2 injection too. It was worth the experiment though!

Awesome!!! How long did it took you to develop this tank. Have the same 2 x 24wT5 lights but my plants seems to asking for more....
Thanks!

This layout is about three months old.

Generally, I never find lack of light an issue if nutrients are dosed appropriately along with good circulation and substrate.

Amazing George! Did you have CO2 in the beginning then remove it once the tank was established? Do you dose the ferts leaner than a CO2 tank because of the slower growth rates?

Your filter specs suggest you have a typhoon in that tank! The turnover rate for a 60 cm tank must be like 20x per hr! I am surprise that your plants are not being blown around.

Is this intentional for non-CO2 setups?
Thanks!

I did start with CO2 but was fed up with the maintenance, as I have a very busy schedule.

I halved the dosing to compensate for the lower nutrient uptake rates, but actually had to add more K, as I was experiencing deficiencies.

I always go for 10x turnover minimum. 20x is better. Of course, the actual turnover is nothing like that, as the filter manufacturer's usually do not take into account height, media, pipework etc.

You can read more about this tank here - http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=234

Thanks again.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
George another very nice tank. I'm curious on the turnover. What is the main reason you go for such a high number?
Thanks.

High turnover is for me good because -

1) It effectively distributes nutrients, especially CO2 (if you use it).
2) It minimises detritus than can cause algae.
3) I've found it minimises GSA on plant leaves.
4) It keeps the fish fit. They use more energy so can eat a lot more food - like us working out. Of course, some species aren't suitable for very high levels of flow.

If you use lily pipes, spraybars etc. appropriately then turbulence doesn't have to be excessive.

A lot of UK enthusiasts supplement flow in their tanks using Hydor Koralia powerheads.

Also, if you use a filter that is vastly over-rated for your tank size, the biological filtration is enhanced, resulting in less risk of ammonia/ammonium that said to be a huge trigger of algae.

When did you cutoff the CO2, once the tank has finished cycling?
Cycling? What's that?! lol

After about 5 weeks I think. I can't remember exactly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looks good George. Its a little darker than other scapes you have done. Is this due to the angle you took the shot at as you usually seem to shoot level or from below.

AC

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very very nice tank!!esthetic and Healthy

I have to ask you,How do you skip so easily on the cycling???i see you Joking about it,me...i want to cry..what's the secret?

Dror.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very very nice tank!!esthetic and Healthy

I have to ask you,How do you skip so easily on the cycling???i see you Joking about it,me...i want to cry..what's the secret?

Dror.
My apologies for making fun of cycling.

I simply plant the tank very heavily from the outset. Wait a couple of weeks for the plants to settle and then put in some algae eaters. Then gradually stock display fish.

I think most folk do something similar. Cycling in the traditional sense isn't so common in planted tanks, as far as I know.

In heavily planted tanks, the plants use up nitrogen compounds so the fish aren't adversely affected by ammonia/nitrite.

If you use ADA Aqua Soil, this leeches ammonia in the early stages so can also help cycling.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for your answer.you don't have to apologize...sorry if i was a bit rood,as you see english is not my best side ;)

I am familiar with this theory and i used it more then once in the past,but if i want to start directly with the scape which is carpet of HC,what should i do??

Dror.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
My apologies for making fun of cycling.

I simply plant the tank very heavily from the outset. Wait a couple of weeks for the plants to settle and then put in some algae eaters. Then gradually stock display fish.

I think most folk do something similar. Cycling in the traditional sense isn't so common in planted tanks, as far as I know.

In heavily planted tanks, the plants use up nitrogen compounds so the fish aren't adversely affected by ammonia/nitrite.

If you use ADA Aqua Soil, this leeches ammonia in the early stages so can also help cycling.
:confused:I was under the impression that you should not add any livestock while you have detectable NH3 levels even if the tank was planted heavily from the outset. I used Amazonia original and it took me about 3-4 weeks of 2x weekly 50% water changes before the NH3 became undetectable.

May the we differ on how what we mean by "heavily" planted. I noticed from the AGA 2008 slide show that Amano did the same.

·
Registered
251 Posts
George, you never fail to amaze me. Your scapes always inspires me! No CO2 and that is your results?? You are an artist. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts