Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strangest thing happened to me yesterday. I did my weekly 50% water change and when I went to add the dechlorinater, I realized I was all out. We'll I had some old stuff hanging around that I got about 2 years ago and used that. And after about 5 min. I saw all the ghost shrimp running around like mad, and the Dwarf Frog looking like it was trying to get something out of his mouth. we'll 10 min later lots of the fish where dead. The only survivors where the Blue and golden ram pair, the Pearl Gourami, one otto, 2 Angels.

The weird thing is that when I woke up this morning all the hair algae I had was red instead of green. The water looked white like it was starting a new cycle. Any body have any idea what could have caused this?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
My guess would be the chlorine in the water. Maybe your old bottle of dechlorinator didn't do it's job.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes definitley sounds like chlorine poisining when you add declor all the time the fish get used to the water change.so it was a big shock for them that they couldnt handle and plus the so called 2yrs old product could helped out too.I found stress coat to be better then declor

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will Chlorine Kill algae?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I do a weekly 6 gallon water change on my 20 gallon, and I never use any dechlorinator product (I did at first, but I quit). I've yet to have any problems doing this. 50% might be a little more iffy though...I might add a little if I was doing that big of a water change.

Oh, and it helps because my tap water doesn't have any chloramins, only chlorine. I'd probably use something if it did.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It's also possible that the chemical makeup was altered in the dechlor as it aged/broke down. That may also may be what turned your algae red.

·
Registered
143 Posts
IIRC, there are two different chlorine related chemicals that the water industry can inject into local water supplies: chlorine or chloramine (?) and I think its chloramine that is the more dangerous one to the fish, and a dechlorinator product deals effectively with both. (Someone help me here, Im going off a poor memory of a poorly understood issue.)

I agree with the consensus: your fish died from chlorine/chloramine poisoning because your 2 year old dechlorinator lost effectiveness. I suspect your water company injects chloramine, and that Mnemia's (who doesn't use a dechlorinator) does not inject anything or injects a low amount of chlorine. Incidentally, most counties/cities have water quality websites that will tell you what is in your water, and if they dont, a call to the water company should give you that info.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I doubt that chlorine or even chloramine was responsible for this catastrophe. NYC water is treated with both and I have never had any such disaster when not using a dechlor product. I imagine you would have to have very high concentrations of such chemicals to kill off algae like that. The algae death signifies something very potent was put into your system. Two things come to mind: (a) the water company overdosed your water (water companies are not infallible) with something, or (b) whatever was in that old bottle of dechlor might not have been dechlor. Is it possible something else was stored therein?

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update,

The fish that are left are doing we'll, The plants aren't using any Ferts or pearling much (NO3 been at 17.6 ppm for 3 days and PO4 at 1.5ppm), but they don't look like there dying just stalled. The water still has a milky white color to it. I'm Afraid to do a water change in case there was something in the water supply that caused it. (The water change was done 2 days after heavy rains)

The good news, I have no algae left.:razz: Now if I can only keep it like that;-)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
In recent times, especially with unexpected heavy rainfall, there have been a number of incidents in which potable water supply has been contaminated in one way or another. In at least one case, the contaminant was sewage. The rapid treatment resorted to in such cases by the water supplier is usually a heavy treatment of H2O2 - hydrogen peroxide. H2O2 does have the effect you described.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another update,

The fish are okay, but a little less active. Some plants have lost most of their leaves. The leaves are turning transparent on some others. The Java Fern looks okay, the Anubias leaves are turning white. The Moss is turning brown.

The tank is dying! :mad:

On a side note the NO3 has shot up to over 30ppm the PO4 is higher than
than the test kit can go.

We'll I guess its time to re-do the tank. And change lots of water.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Sorry to hear about the plants, fish, and bio-filter but the good news is the algae is gone :) Always helps to look at the bright side of things.

Chlorine, at least bleach, does turn algae red. I have used it on driftwood with BBA and the algae first turns red, then white. I had the same effect BBa when I overdosed Excel.

Pineapple knows more about NYC water than I do, but I suppose it is could also possible that the city super chlorinated the water after a mishap or just made a mistake. Mistakes do happen.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think Mat is right. Something happened to the water supply. That level of toxicity is most likely also toxic to humans. Look into the cause of it.

You might do well to wash out the substrate and start over.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
459 Posts
Is it possible that the pH of the water supply changed drastically? I've seen fish die of pH shock when moving them to different tanks. Looking at a day-by-day readout of my community's water supply I've noticed that pH can swing noticeably in a short amount of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts