Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a red sea aquavase this weekend and it is real neat-o (with a filter light and evrythng) so at the moment it has gravel 3 vals and a small amazon sword. I am trying to find a foreground plant that doesnt grow too fast. The lighting is 7w and there is no heater yet. if you have any comments thtd be welcome too :D

F4B

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have this tank and love it. You realy have to be carefull onyour plant selection for light and size.

The vals and ESPECIALLY!!!!!!!!!! the sword will get way to big for the tank..heck, the sword would like you to fill the whole tank up with substrate and use it as a pot LOL

try plants like petite nana, moss, HC, HM, marsilea, C. willisii etc etc

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know he vals will get too big, but I wanted to see if they began growing emersed leaves- heard they even flowerd :shock: but if thy dont, and they are too big for the tank, im going to move them to my 20... and the sword, ive had it in my 20 gal and it has stayed pretty much the same size for about a year now. But is there a foreground plant that would be good? I was thinking about putting in some glosso- im eager to try some I heard they were nice looking but I never had enough light to support them

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Try any var. 'dwarf' plant...LOL, I thought this tank was a jar when I saw the post! Maybe some petite nana, a little piece of wood would look nice, and some pearl grass(I dont know if will work), maybe even micro tenellus.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I do not know what a RedSea Aquavase look like but here is karenran's Azoo tank utilizing flattened Cladophora aegagropila (Marimo moss ball) as the foreground.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly the look im going for! Is there a substrate in there? How did you keep the moss ball flat? What are the plants that are in there?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Verbatim from the link provided above:

karenran (not me BTW :wink:) said:
I set this tank up about a week after Thanksgiving 2003, to house a group of Cherry Shrimp purchased at the AGA convention, This photo was taken within 24 hours. I had intended to put one or two white clouds in the tank, but I enjoyed watching the shrimp so much that I decided not to add any fish.

I wanted this to be a very stable, slow growth tank. I also wanted it to be very easy to maintain. I didn't want to deal with a substrate in this tiny tank, but didn't want a bare bottom either. So I dismembered a Cladophora ball, and sewed it onto a sheet of plastic needlepoint canvas. The other plants used were a small Java fern, Anubias barteri var. 'Nana', Christmas moss and Monosolenium tenerum.

Recently I tossed in a piece of Phylanthus fluitans from another tank. I wasn't sure how this little floater would do in the low humidity, but it is doing fine, and has even produced some flowers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW :shock:

It look so beatiful, I have one tank like it, I used it to keep a betta in my office but I couldn't see this beatiful fish in so tiny space, in two or three weeks after its setup I moved the betta to my 40 g community tank.

Now the tiny tank is empty and I'm wondering if I could set it up like yours :) , But I'm not sure about the maintenace, Is you tank still runnig? Are you adding any kind of fertilizers? what about the filter? When I started the filter it caused a lot of flow in the tank (my betta can't move) Is this flow harmful to the plants? What could eat the shrimps? Are you adding some food for the shrimps?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm very interested on your amazing tiny tank!

Tanks !

·
Registered
426 Posts
claus said:
Sorry I didn't see that it is not your tank :oops: ( I was in shock for the images )
Hehehe. It's always good to be mistaken for something positive rather than negative. :mrgreen: It's definitely a beautiful tank. I bookmarked it as soon as I saw it.

I'm sure you have found the link I referenced above along with the quoted text that should answer most of your questions.

As for the others: I am not sure if the RedSea Aquavase comes with a filter but the Azoo one does. At least I've seen them at my LFS as such. Flow is not harmful to plants. Many things eat shrimps, including us. :) General rule of thumb: If fish A fits in fish B's mouth, then chances are fish B will eat fish A. In such a small tank, I think you should follow Karen's footsteps and keep only shrimps. Feeding the shrimps is not difficult as they will eat just about anything: flakes, algae/tablets, etc.

And since this is such a small tank with little light, Karen chose to use slow growing & low-light-tolerant plants. The fastest growing plants in there are the moss and Monosolenium tenerum. She also does water changes with fertilized water from an established tank. Although if you use the same plant species as Karen, then there is probably no need for supplemental fertilization. The waste from the shrimps would be adequate. Of course, there are a plethora of plants suitable for such small aquaria to choose from that there's no need to copy Karen's selections.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey cS !

Thanks for your replay !!, it has a lot of information. I'll try to set up a nice nano tank like karens (I hope so :) ) , and I'll send you some pics from it.

The only problem is : here in Mexico is very hard to find shrimps :( , by the way Do you now someone who sell shrimps out of the USA? ?

Regards !!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Please do post them when you have it all set up. We would love to see them. I like pictures. :D

Unfortunately I do not know of any vendor who will send shrimps internationally. If you'd post your request to the For Sale/Trade forum, then perhaps some hobbyist/vendor will contact you about it. If not, then you may consider keeping small fish in there, although I don't recommend it. I prefer to see fish (and even shrimps) in larger tanks. Such small aquariums, while REALLY REALLY REALLY neat to look at, are much more prone to unstable water chemistry that can really stress the fauna. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts