Hydor ETH 200w inline heater
Substrate: gravel

Flora
- Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'
- Anubias sp.

Fauna
- Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus) x9
- Firemouth cichlid (Thorichthys meeki) x6

Currently following Tom Barr's non-CO2 method found here. Dosing KN03 and KH2PO4 as recommended along w/ Seachem Flourish. I have naturally hard tap water so I didn't see the need for Equilibrium as my every day top off should provide enough CA in theory. Plants seem to be growing ok but so has algae and it looks as if I might be in the midst of a diatom attack. I am thinking about adding a small school of Otocinclus to help w/ cleanup.

The firemouths are a pleasure. There are two 3" PVC elbows hidden on either side of the tank to serve as caves. They are constantly charging each other as they fight for position and territory.

The Giant danios are also neat but I think they made be a little big and throw off the scale of the firemouths which only grow 5-6 inches or so. I initially purchased them to pick off firemouth fry but I think I may replace them with something smaller like harlequin rasboras or some such.

The one aspect I am a bit unhappy with is the foreground. I wanted a nice clean open area for the fish to swim in but I think it may be too open.

Thanks to all the APC members who provided various materials/plants for this scape.

Charlie

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great looking tank. I love the simplicity and elegance of your 2 plant scape. As for the foreground, I think it looks good the way it is, nice size gravels with excellent dark coloration.

Quick question, where did get the JEBO tank from? Is there a reputable online retailer that carry JEBO line? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JEBO tank I got from my brother in law's hookup. He told me that was the last one in the US that he could find. It took about a month.

I need to learn to take better full tank shots. They all come out looking like junk. I'm sure a tripod will help.

For all those who think having a better camera (Nikon D70 DSLR) will make you a better photographer, I'm living proof that this is not the case.

-Charlie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks as if my Firemouths have spawned. I see a bunch of eggs in the right side PVC cave and the male and fmale have been guarding the territory. Hopefuly I'll see fry soon.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
that is really nice!!!
right there is some inspiration for my electric blue jack dempsey tank!!
way to go!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I like how you suspended the Tek's. I thinking of something like this so that I can avoid suspending them from the ceiling. Is it made from metal pipe conduit?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like my C220s. I think with the current planting and fishload, they are doing a good job. Current is definitely visible but my fish aren't being blown around. I have everything circulating in a counter clockwise direction when looking at the tank from the top and the intakes are on both back corners. No noticeable buildup of detritus.

Charlie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Dad watching over the fry.

The mom and dad moved the fry to the nursery next to the spawning cave today. Everyone seems to be doing well. Parents are patrolling the area scooping up any errant fry and terrorizing the remaining fish.

My kids are fascinated by the whole thing and I'm pretty excited myself. The questions is, what am I gonna do with all the remaining fry that end up growing up? I know some cichlids will stop breeding once the tank gets too full. Will firemouths do that as well?

-Charlie

·
Registered
224 Posts
great job it looks great just like your 30C. the gravel and black lava rock complement each other. The fire mouth look great b/c they are not bright colors like other cichlids. If you thinks your foreground is bare maybe scatter black lava rock with some anubias on some rock. BTW how do you like the TEK? I can't decide between Tek and MH for my new rimless.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fortunately for me, Thoricthys meeki are fairly easy on plants. I've seen a couple here and there tugging on the java fern but no damage other wise.

Plants are Narrow leaf java fern and anubias. Everything is attached to rocks and driftwood so no fears about anything being uprooted.

Marimo, I was thining the front looks a little bare. I may scatter some of the anubias petite onto so rocks in the front just to fill it out a bit.

Update on the fish. I'm down to 4 danios in the tank now as the male/female pair love to chase everything. The danios superfreak out and end up on the floor. I think I may have another pair as two of the other four have colored up intensely in the last couple days and have taken to hanging out in the opposite corner.

The fry are down in number, no doubt due to them getting picked off by the other fish which is what I hoped would happen. I would estimate around 20 left or so. If I end up with 2 or 3 that make it to juvenile stage, I'll be happy.

For anyone that wants a plant friendly cichlid that doesn't require too much space, likes hard water and has lots of personality, I totally recommend firemouths. Easily available, inexpensive and fun. You can keep a pair in a 20 gallon and besids a little digging during breeding, they will pretty much leave your plants alone.

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts