Aquatic Plant Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The sand ended up not working out because A) Everyone was telling me how hard it would have been to keep clear of debris and that in a month it would be covered in SMS B) It took up to much planting room haha, I do kinda wish I could have put it in tho but o well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
75 Gallon Planted Journal Updated (7-21-07)

Hey Everyone!

I just got some new plants planted in the aquarium and the water has cleared. As you can see I have got some dwarf hairgrass on the left and more dwarf sag on the right so my foreground is in shape. I got some water sprite and some red thing in the background too. I think the tank is really coming along well, Im getting another peice of driftwood (small) on the right side of the tank to even it out. All in all I think it is shaping up well.

Anyways I would love some feedback on my aquascape and plant selection, Do I have enough plant mass to start adding some fish?? well here are the pics, Enjoy!!

-John

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use sand. The best plant grower I know in Ontario uses sand in all his tanks. It doesn't compact, can be had free and looks decent. The only bad thing you can say about it is a stong filter (think diatom) my clog a bit more quickly because it might suck some up. The nice thing about it is you can "seal" in a bottom layer of anything. I put cow manure, steel wool and washers under 4" of beach sand, a recipe I got from Jim Robinson (who added the washers) who got it from Dorothy Reimer who was the one that inspired Diana Walsted to document the method. It's a venerable substrate, lo verily.

The plants seem to like it.

http://images.aquaria.net/tanks/rjs/tk-1/2000/Mar26/Image80.jpg

21 - 24 of 24 Posts