Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my rimless 75 gallon from Glasscages.com all set-up with plants! I have had this tank for too long without any plants. I got a 4x54 watt TEK lamp with two midday GE bulbs and 2 ocean white from aquamedic (10K). The middle two bulbs are on for 8 hours while the outside bulbs are on for a two hour noon burst. Can anyone comment on this photoperiod....whether its too much or not enough? I got my temporary CO2 system set-up on the left side of the tank. I'm trying to figure out a way to hide all the equipment inside the stand. I thought about not using the inline reactor and just running the CO2 into the filter line before the iwaki pump and ocean clear filter. My thoughts are that this would dissolve the CO2 well enough. Maybe/maybe not?

Substrate is Eco-complete. I use PPS-Pro and my GH is ~7 and KH is ~5. I don't really care about anything else:)

Check out my other thread about how I built the stand and set-up the tank and filtration system.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...9707-rimless-75-gallon-close-loop-filter.html

Here is a list of the plants...
Crypt wendtii - Brown?
Rotala rotundifolia, sp. green, and macranda
Crypt balansae
Alternathera reineckii
Blyxa japonica
Anubias petite
Narrow leaf java fern
HM

The fish I have in now are just two angels and a handful of SAE's. I may get rid of the angels and find some schooling cardinal tetras or some harlequin rasboras. Not sure yet.

Fell free to comment on the aquascape or ask any questions about the set-up. I think I will really like this tank and can't wait for it to establish.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you think to plant some "moss" on the woods? I think it will be better. A little opinion, sorry for my poor English....

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think the photoperiod sounds good so far. Maybe after the plants grow in more you might think about increasing the duration of your noon burst just depending on how everything is doing. It looks good and it will look even better after it fills out.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually was thinking about moss for the tank, but want to make sure I don't have any hair algae left over in there from my last tank first. I have had a hard time with hair algae and moss.

Jeff, I think I may go to a 3 hour burst.

Thanks for the comments!
Matt

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured out how to get the CO2 in the tank efficiently without lots of extra work and equip.
I found this T PVC fitting and hooked it straight into my filter line - I put this before the intake on my Iwaki Pump.

Here is the whole system minus the ocean clear and inline filter

I hope it will work well. I can hear the bubbles get chopped up in the pump and the filter should act as a wonderful reactor - I hope. Tom Barr recommended me this just after I put my fittings together. http://www.aquacave.com/reducing-tee...medic-436.html
Essentially the same thing, but only one solid unit.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Very nice so far, you can use flag fish for hair algae they cleared out one of my tanks, but make sure you don't feed too much or they will not eat as much of the algae. How many bags of eco complete did you use. I want to change my 75g to eco as well. Overall very nice, I love the petite anubias. The rotala R should turn pink with intense light when it reaches the surface it will look really nice.

Jeremy

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice so far, you can use flag fish for hair algae they cleared out one of my tanks, but make sure you don't feed too much or they will not eat as much of the algae. How many bags of eco complete did you use. I want to change my 75g to eco as well. Overall very nice, I love the petite anubias. The rotala R should turn pink with intense light when it reaches the surface it will look really nice.

Jeremy
I believe there is 7 bags in there. Definately enough that is for sure! I'll have to see if I can get flag fish anywhere around here. I don't think I have ever seen them in a lfs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Nice setup!
How does the benificial bacteria in your filter handle the exposure to CO2 running thru it? I had always figured this to be one of the main reasons for having the reactor after the filter...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not know what damage the CO2 does to bacteria. My guess would be little. Even if it does damage the bacteria, most planted tanks don't rely hevily on filters for biological filtration so I'm not too concerned about it. Maybe others can chime in on what effect it may have.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Khoile, The CO2 fittings can be had at Lowes. They have an especially nice selection of plumbing and fittings.

So my CO2 injector (if you can call it that) is not working that well. It takes a lot of CO2 to get the drop checker green and plants pearling. I have a Mazzei venturi injector on order and it will be in next week. I ordered the Mazzie 384 model and will hook it up to my closed loop after the filter.

See here for more detail....http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/72007-selecting-mazzei-co2-diffusion-misting.html. The mazzei will be very effecient system and will provide a perfect mist of CO2 all over the tank! Can't wait!

The tank is really starting to fill in nice. I'll post some new pics in a few weeks.

I thought about getting rid of my angel pair, but I think I like them more than I thought. I also got 3 black mollies, 5 SAE, and 5 otto cats, and 2 baby Yellow Lab Cichlids (for now). Funny story about those labs...I had my big cichlids in this tank before and when I was taking them out before my move, the mom must have released her babies. I have no idea how these two babies made it through it all.

What do people think about a group of schoolers? Any suggestions...?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I too have a tek light over my 90 gallon. I recently had it placed about 8 inches from the surface but due to burned leaves on my sunset hygro i raised it to a foot above the surface.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like your tank!

Did the river rocks do anything to your tank? Last time i put a river rock in my tank it turn my ADA soil around it a pinkish color.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Your tank looks great! :D Your plant mix is nice. I just recently found out that amano shrimp will also eat hair algae. They can even get along with CRS and RCS. I've been fighting it in my shrimp tank. What a pain! I have some on their way to me. I expect big things!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Matt, do you plan to use your canister to supply the mazzei or do you have a separate pump for that? I'm like you in that it seems to take a lot of CO2 into the reactor to get the plants pearling well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts