Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya!

We've got what used to be a 55g, upgraded to a 75g community tank full of random plants that we've been able to find in the local area. And when I say community tank, I mean -community- tank. Not only is it a hodgepodge of fish, but also several different members of the family have been allowed to pick out fish for the tank. Thus we have mollies, platies, loaches, knife fish, tetras, rams...you get the point.

Anyways, I'm starting a little journal here to see if we can't get this tank up to some aquascaping standards while still maintaining it as a community tank viewable from all sides. This makes it hard, I know, but since the tank is in between the living room and the dinning room, we prefer to have no background or paint on the tank at all.

My brother and I have been hankering to do some aquascaping but alas, our local resources are very limited. I'm sure we sill soon resort to ordering some plants, and that is the #1 reason why I'm posting here...for your advice on what plants would go well in this community tank.

Here's a few pics to start it off...

Again, to reiterate, it is important that this tank be viewable from both sides.

The dwarf hair grass in the pot has since been planted around the base of the driftwood.

Suggestions? Comments? Ideas of plants that would go well with such a setup?

I know its hard to tell, but there are at least 20+ fish in the tank. It's only about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks old.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
It looks like you are off to a great start. For all-around viewing, you've got it planted about as dense as you can get it.

The swords in there will shade out large areas, so you might consider low-light foreground plants to plant as a bottom carpet of sorts. Small Cryptocorynes would be perfect fo this (such as C x willissi, C. lucens, or C. parva) .
Also, if that's wisteria (Hygro. difformis) in the center of the top picture, you can keep that trimmed lower to allow better viewing.

You can add anubias, mosses, or ferns on the driftwood, as well.

-Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts