Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 9 gal aquarium which I currently have a couple of cichlids in. I plan to shift to a

low tech planted setup which will house Cherry Red Shrimps.

Aquarium Size: L:14.5, w:9.5 h:12.5
I have a CFL of 11 watts.6500k, 570 lumen. I tried a 15w but it was heating up the plastic lid way too much.
Is this light good enough for a planted low light setup?

I already have some red aqua clay (substrate with those small fired clay balls). I plan to use this up as the base and add 3-4 kg's of ADA amazonia on top and create an iwagumi setup. Is this ok?

I looked around some of the LFS and found these plants readily available:
Java Fern,
Java Moss
Glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides)
Dwarf Hair grass
Thin Hair grass (not sure what exactly this is)
Cofefolia thailand
Anubias (dark green and small).
Crypts

I saw some valisneria and cabombas etc but not really interested in those.Not too many

varieties are available locally.

One LFS and some online resources said that Glosso could be grown in low light, but the other

LFS said it needed really high light.

They also suggested that I not use hair grass as it needs med-high light.

They suggested I stick to Anubias, cofefolia thailand & crypts. I would love to have a lawn

effect, but do not know if its possible with my lighting setup.

I also do not plan to add any CO2. Maybe some fertilizers as required.

I use a RO system and use that water for the aquarium.

I use a trickle filter which was supplied with the tank. The intake is about 1.5-2 inches from the substrate. Is it ok to have a higher intake or should the intake for the filter be close to the bottom of the tank.

Any advice from the resident experts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
With that lighting I would suggest sticking with the Anubias and Crypt sps. I have some under a 9w pc bulb and they do well, and I offer carbon via some initial organics. If I can find a pic of a tank with similar species that you are thinking or working with I'll post it. I just have to remember where it's at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mudboots. I will go with the crypts and the anubias.

Would Cofefolia thailand do ok in this tank?

And is it generally ok to move my inlet for the filter about 1/2 way up the aquarium. Basically want to avoid to much suction at the bottom with the shrimp babies if and when they breed ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks Mudboots. I will go with the crypts and the anubias.

Would Cofefolia thailand do ok in this tank?

And is it generally ok to move my inlet for the filter about 1/2 way up the aquarium. Basically want to avoid to much suction at the bottom with the shrimp babies if and when they breed ;)
"Coffeefolia" is a variety of Anubias, and all Anubias are from Africa. The genus doesn't exist in Thailand. So I'm not sure where this name is from or the specific plant you are talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My LFS told me that they had it. After some search on the net I see these links, Its being called -> Anubias barteri var coffeefolia 'Thailand'

On Ebay

And other similar stores. But I didnt find any literature other than the ones on standard Anubias.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My LFS told me that they had it. After some search on the net I see these links, Its being called -> Anubias barteri var coffeefolia 'Thailand'

On Ebay

And other similar stores. But I didnt find any literature other than the ones on standard Anubias.
Just goes to show the ridiculous common names that people make up for plants. There are no Anubias in Thailand.

Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a trickle filter which was supplied with the tank. The intake is about 1.5-2 inches from the substrate. Is it ok to have a higher intake or should the intake for the filter be close to the bottom of the tank.
Height shouldn't matter too much to the shrimp, just make sure to put either a sponge filter or mesh covering over the inlet, otherwise the babies will be in for a rough ride through the impeller :rolleyes:

I use sponge filters that sit on the substrate (some with powerheads rather than air), plus HOB filters with sponges over the inlet. My fire red colony keeps growing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jon, I plan to put a sponge over my filter anyway.. Meanwhile the search for a good source of local laterite continues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts