Aquatic Plant Forum banner
141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
well...just bought 2 of these GE bulbs from lowes (~$6 ea)

I honestly cant tell the difference (visually) between these and my "expensive" All Glass (8000k) bulbs ~$16 ea

guess Ill be making the switch!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I understand that but I was wondering how i can get a good balance for the plants, should i have all my bulbs have a high CRI ?
Having a good color rendering index is merely for the viewer - their preference. The plants see the spectral output of the light from 400nm to 700nm; not the color of the bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I decided to try the GE 9325K bulbs again so I purchased a six pack for a better price. I typically buy in bulk anyway. I am quite disappointed in the quality of the phosphourus coating. It has void/thin spots particularily at the 'U' bend and other marks and streaks. This allows UV light to escape as there is no bombardment of the phosphourus from the arc light. My biggest disappointment was that I barely got 6 months before the cathodes blackened the ends. I guess I wont be using these again.:mad::mad::mad:

What other 55w/65w 4-pin straight biax bulbs are you other members using????

·
Registered
68 Posts
What other 55w/65w 4-pin straight biax bulbs are you other members using????
I've had good results witht the Current SunPaq Dual Daylight bulbs (10,000K/6700K). While not 9325K, I do like the color and plant growth I get from these bulbs. The coating holds up well, and I can get over a year on these bulbs with an 11 hour photoperiod being used.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Thanks for the tips spdskr.
I've decided to sell my 2 x 55w fixture and the 4 unused GE 9325K bulbs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How does the GE 9325K compare to AHS 3-6-10 in terms of appearance in the tank and build quality?
Any other 55W CF bulb that look similar to these? I was looking for replacement for my 55W 6700K I got which are over 2 years.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Newt - Where did you buy yours from? And did they all suffer the same issue? I found a site http://www.galesburgelectric.com/GE-F55BXARFS6PK-55W-4-Pin-High-Lumen-Biax-Aquarium-Light-Bulb.html that has the bulbs at a really good price. If i get those and two other high CRI bulbs i think i'll do okay, i'm just nervous about sub par bulbs...

Also i have a question:
1) If a bulb has a spike in the red/green/blue range, does this mean that the color with the spike will be emphasized in the aquarium?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I had purchased my six pack at Atlanta Light Bulb. They were manufactured in the UK.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
do they make a 9325K in T5HO
what color is 9325K? is it a redish light?
I havent seen a T5HO for the 9325. I dont see GE making one as there are so many better T5HO bulbs already available.

It is reddish and is poor color rendering overall.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'm not framiliar with that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Newt thanx for all of your comments. I have one for you. I have 65 gallon tank and I have a 48" Catalina 4 light bulb fixture of t5HO. I'm running three 6700k light bulbs. Should I add a fourth bulb as 10k bulb to get a broader spectrum or take out one of the 6700k and add a 10k? What combination will work best given what I have to get the best mix of light for my plants? I have a little bit of everything in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came here to research lighting for this tank and my new one. I heard so many good things about the GE 9325K here that I decided to replace my bulbs with those. So, at the advice of many here I ordered one of those and 1 Coralife Trichromatic (6500K, I think).
The difference is incredible. Thanks guys!
(sorry...the pics are a little blurry...but you can see the lighting difference)
BEFORE

AFTER
Here's a good Light! I've seen how it works.

Aquarium LED Lighting

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
How much for them??

Edit: it looks like the six pack i linked to is the same... And its only 40$...
I cant remember exactly what I paid but I believe it was a bit more than $40/six. So I'd say you found a good deal.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Hey Newt thanx for all of your comments. I have one for you. I have 65 gallon tank and I have a 48" Catalina 4 light bulb fixture of t5HO. I'm running three 6700k light bulbs. Should I add a fourth bulb as 10k bulb to get a broader spectrum or take out one of the 6700k and add a 10k? What combination will work best given what I have to get the best mix of light for my plants? I have a little bit of everything in there.
I myself like a white light so I have found that mixing bulbs is best for achieving this as well as for providing the proper spectrum of light for plants.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts