Aquatic Plant Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I decided to try the GE 9325K bulbs again so I purchased a six pack for a better price. I typically buy in bulk anyway. I am quite disappointed in the quality of the phosphourus coating. It has void/thin spots particularily at the 'U' bend and other marks and streaks. This allows UV light to escape as there is no bombardment of the phosphourus from the arc light. My biggest disappointment was that I barely got 6 months before the cathodes blackened the ends. I guess I wont be using these again.:mad::mad::mad:

What other 55w/65w 4-pin straight biax bulbs are you other members using????
Where did you find the 6 pack? the ones i thought were 40 for a 6 pack are 40$ each!?!?!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
does know anyone where to get this light in t8 36in?
i use to buy them from dr foster but they dont sell it anymore in 36in and i cant find them anywhere else =(

·
Registered
910 Posts
The price has gone up on the GE9325 55w CF.....................what hasnt................

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Browse.asp
I checked back in with the vendor of the 6 pack i put up earlier (i'll put the link up when i'm back home i dont have the link this second) and they have modified the listing to show it is indeed a 6 pack. Breaks down to 8ish a bulb if memory serves.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
................how are the aga 8000k better?
Actually, Allglass Aquariums (AGA) used the 9325 as OEM/stock bulbs. Not sure why but they came out with their own 8000K version. Yes, I think they are better. Better CRI and better color - better red and blue light. More like the color from a Philips Aquarelle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like GE discontinued their 9325K bulb.
Just to be clear, this is the 55 watt, 21 inch, straight 4-pin compact fluorescent bulb.
The bulb is unavailable at the following sites:
atlantalightbulb.com
1000bulbs.com
eLightBulbs
lightbulbsdirect.com
drsfostersmith.com
I talked to a number of folks on the phone that confirmed that GE is discontinuing the bulb. I even tried to special order it locally. It's unfortunate, it seems like one of the most popular bulbs. I am just setting up a Walstad tank and was looking forward to getting the 9325.
From reading this thread, it seems like bulb choice really comes down to appearance in the tank. It seems like some of the favorites are:
Philips PL-L/950
Current SunPaq Dual Daylight bulbs (10,000K/6700K)
Coralife colormax
All-Glass 8000k
Do any of these bulbs stand out above the rest? Any others that I should consider?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi HAJA,

Check out AH Supply. They offer a 55 watt straight pin bulb they call the 3-6-10. I talked to Kim at AHS about them when they got them in and he said they were very similar to the 9325K bulbs so I bought one about a year ago. Here are a couple of pics of the same aquarium, same camera, same camera settings, no picture manipulation. The first tank is with a 6700K bulb and the second is with the 3-6-10 bulb.

3-6-10 Bulb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi HAJA,
Check out AH Supply. They offer a 55 watt straight pin bulb they call the 3-6-10. I talked to Kim at AHS about them when they got them in and he said they were very similar to the 9325K bulbs so I bought one about a year ago. Here are a couple of pics of the same aquarium, same camera, same camera settings, no picture manipulation. The first tank is with a 6700K bulb and the second is with the 3-6-10 bulb.
Thanks! Who makes the bulbs sold by AH Supply?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Thanks! Who makes the bulbs sold by AH Supply?
They wont tell you and will not provide you with any spectral output data on the bulb.

If you want a bulb similar (but better) to the 9325K use the AGA 8000K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not too excited about getting a 'mystery' bulb from AH Supply, especially when I've put so much time into researching bulbs.
I can't find the AGA 8000K bulb online.
I think I will go with one of the 6,700K/10,000K bulbs, either the Coralife Colormax or the Current SunPaq Dual Daylight. I think the 6,700K/10,000K bulbs are a good combination between the growth promoting 6,700K and the 10,000K evening out the colors in the tank. The current looks like it is cheaper and more readily available, so it will probably be the winner.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The Coralife bulbs are heavy in the green spectrum output and this wont do much for your plants and I dont know much about Sunpaq. I'd recommend the Philips PLL950s but now that they are making them in the US (and not supplied from Europe) the spectral output is not as good as the European ones. This is the main reason I stopped using CF bulbs as you can no longer get good plant bulbs.

Here's a link for a few others >
http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/55-watt-4-pin-2g11-plug-in-compact-fluorescents-5000k

And you might try www.naturallighting.com

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm not too excited about getting a 'mystery' bulb from AH Supply, especially when I've put so much time into researching bulbs.
I can't find the AGA 8000K bulb online.
I think I will go with one of the 6,700K/10,000K bulbs, either the Coralife Colormax or the Current SunPaq Dual Daylight. I think the 6,700K/10,000K bulbs are a good combination between the growth promoting 6,700K and the 10,000K evening out the colors in the tank. The current looks like it is cheaper and more readily available, so it will probably be the winner.
Beware that Current is in the process of changing a lot of there bulbs. Many they are simply taking off the market and replacing them with another off brand bulb.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts