Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both set up around mid March 2021. I plan on wrestling all those cords into submission soon.

This is a 2-gallon jar and a 5-gallon Marineland Portrait, both in kitchen. I removed the filter section on the Portrait to increase the planting footprint a bit. It is heated and has crypt retrospiralis, myrio, mystery bulb, and some dwarf sag. Potting soil substrate, and the wood is fake manzanita I got off Etsy. I think the substrate is a bit too deep.

The jar is heated and has swords, myrio, dwarf sag, and a mystery bulb. Potting soil substrate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice aquascapes and color combinations! I wouldn't worry about the substrate depth, both dwarf sag and crypts will grow roots, runners and daughter plants keeping it fine. It will be fun once you start seeing the sag runners reach the glass and grow along it :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are both great especially the marineland one, love that piece of wood! Would look great with some java moss. Isn't an amazon sword kinda big for that small a tank?
Thank you! I thought about putting some moss on it, but I didn’t have any. And yes, I expect the swords to get too big, but I had nowhere else to put them and no way was I throwing them away. Too expensive. I have no long term plan, lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
And yes, I expect the swords to get too big, but I had nowhere else to put them and no way was I throwing them away. Too expensive. I have no long term plan, lol.
Do amazon swords grow emersed? Would they be able to grow out of the tank, or would the humidity need to be way higher?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you! I thought about putting some moss on it, but I didn’t have any. And yes, I expect the swords to get too big, but I had nowhere else to put them and no way was I throwing them away. Too expensive. I have no long term plan, lol.
Sometimes no long term plans are the best plans! lol

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do amazon swords grow emersed? Would they be able to grow out of the tank, or would the humidity need to be way higher?
They will grow emersed, but I don’t know about the humidity. I should be able to answer this in a few months! I’ve got another ozelot sword in my other 5-gallon that I’m seriously considering removing. I love crowded tanks, but it may be a bit much, lol. Edited to say I found some info, and the ozelot appears to lose its immersed leaves once emerges, so it will be just stems that are immersed. Interesting and very attractive!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s the weirdest thing, but everything in the 5-gallon is dying. Exact same soil as my other 3, which are fine and growing. I think this LED light is old as it’s significantly dimmer than the other 5-gallon with identical lighting. I’ve got some LED puck lights on order to replace it with.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I’ve got some easy, cheap replacements arriving tomorrow. Three puck lights for $18. I should be good for awhile, lol. I maybe could’ve replaced it even cheaper, but I’m going for ease of installation too. Stick them on and plug them in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts