Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello again APC!
Here are some pics of some interesting pictures of some plants that I am currently working with. I Hope you folks enjoy the pictures! :D

Tentatively known as a rotala, also under the name of ramosior. Very attractive deep pink leaves with a white vein down the middle. The stem remains green making a nice contrast. This species is by far one of the most attractive stem plants I've ever had the opportunity to play with!

This particular Bacopa is one of the most unique being that the leaves are pointed and longer than the typical Bacopa. The crown has the ability to turn slightly pink.

One of the most interesting and attractive Cabomba species. As you can see the leaves whorl, and they have a pattern of green then white then green and so on.

This Rotala is similar in leaf pattern and demands as R. Vietnam and R. hippuris. The most significant contrast is that this particular Rotala from Thailand, colors out to an attractive orange hue with a bright red stem, unlike the pink/red hue of hippuris and Vietnam.

This Hygro is by far one of the more unique species I've given a try to, particularly for the long-serrated leaves. Can get quite large but makes a very attractive background plant.

This species of Arthraxon from Guinea (Africa) is very small and great for "nano" tanks. The leaves also have the attractive "shiny and silvery" look. The leaves also have the ability to turn a shade of purple.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
That Rotala 'Thailand' looks like Rotala Hippuris from your px. Do you know if it's the same plant? The Hippuris has pink on the underside of the leaves.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nice looking plants man these are tempting. Think I need to get my CO2 setup first though
Especially the First sp which I know as Amannia sp Sulawesi. If you think your Co2 is good is not good enough...it's not good enough for any Co2 responsive sp. So definitely work on that or anyone else who is considering them.

Once Co2 and water params consistency is up to it's liking it's fairly easy grow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the first "Rotala" I bought it a bunch of years ago from Japan as Rotala "Sunset". I'm more than open to other possibilites! I've also seen it in literature as Ammania "Sulawesi" and Rotala ramosior. I definitely agree, by far one of the most beautifully and uniquely colored stem plants out right now. :)
Tex-gal : The Rotala "Thailand" is different from hippuris, to me and a few people at least. I and a few of my friends have grown this Rotala as well as hippuris, and they and I both agree that the leaf colors are more of an orange/yellow hue, and that the leaves are more the size of R."Vietnam" (somewhat thicker leaves as compared to hippuris). It seems to me more like a closer relative to "Vietnam" than hippuris, and the underside of the leaves are not pink.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I'm quite curious to know if that first one really is a Rotala ramosior variety. I've collected it many times here in Maryland and it has never grown with red leaves. It always looks like this submersed:

·
Administrator
7,397 Posts
I'm quite curious to know if that first one really is a Rotala ramosior variety. I've collected it many times here in Maryland and it has never grown with red leaves. It always looks like this submersed:
The red plant pictured above is definitely not R. ramosior. Growing it emersed, flowering it...you know the drill. :eek:

The Cabomba is the C. caroliniana 'silver-green' on page 162 of Kasselmann. Good to see it getting around. It's a cultivar created in Germany.

As far as the Rotala sp. 'Vietnam' look-alike, I'll bet that it's the same species or a regional variation of it. One can easily make 'Vietnam' that color or even solid orange with lots of iron dosing. Growing the two together would be telling. I've been converting the 'Vietnam' to emersed growth but it isn't easy with really fine plants like that. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I'm enjoying this discussion. Love all the possiblities.

Thanks for explaining about the Rotala "Thailand". Obviously I can't tell how big it is on anything. It's really pretty. I'm partial to the colored plants. Of course it's the greens that set off all the colors. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
The red plant pictured above is definitely not R. ramosior. Growing it emersed, flowering it...you know the drill. :eek:

The Cabomba is the C. caroliniana 'silver-green' on page 162 of Kasselmann. Good to see it getting around. It's a cultivar created in Germany.

As far as the Rotala sp. 'Vietnam' look-alike, I'll bet that it's the same species or a regional variation of it. One can easily make 'Vietnam' that color or even solid orange with lots of iron dosing. Growing the two together would be telling. I've been converting the 'Vietnam' to emersed growth but it isn't easy with really fine plants like that. We'll see.
Hey Cavan........a little trick for getting fine leaved rotalas to start growing emersed............cut a few long stems and float them in a 5 gallon bucket in the sunlight.......you are in florida right????? they should start to take off.....the submerged leaves will start to decay within a week so you have to then transfer the emersed cutting to a humidified (domed) enclosure with a mud mixture substrate. That is what has worked for me.....try it with some fine leaved rotalas that you have plenty of. It seems that when the plants are no longer attached to the bottom, they are more likely to start growing emersed.

KT

·
Administrator
7,397 Posts
Hey Cavan........a little trick for getting fine leaved rotalas to start growing emersed............cut a few long stems and float them in a 5 gallon bucket in the sunlight.......you are in florida right????? they should start to take off.....the submerged leaves will start to decay within a week so you have to then transfer the emersed cutting to a humidified (domed) enclosure with a mud mixture substrate. That is what has worked for me.....try it with some fine leaved rotalas that you have plenty of. It seems that when the plants are no longer attached to the bottom, they are more likely to start growing emersed.

KT
Hey Ken,

That's a good suggestion, thanks. No, I'm not in Florida. Maryland will have to do. :cool: I'm currently tankless but will be setting up an open top 40 Friday (probably). Floating them would probably be a good option. I flowered 'type 2' doing that one time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
..Sunset....Tentatively known as a rotala, also under the name of ramosior. Very attractive deep pink leaves with a white vein down the middle. The stem remains green making a nice contrast.
Juicy plant ya got there. I would love a stalk or 2! That's quite nice and I want - no, need this one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts