Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well after several hours doing my yearly cleanup of one of the tanks I didn't have the heart to do what I originally set out to do. That is break up mount Everest pictured below.

It's a nice piece of driftwood (no longer visible) covered in crypts, various types of java ferns, anubias, moss and other bits and pieces that have found their way there over there in the last year or so. Even the crypts have become an integral part of the wood, I tried pulling some but to no avail, everything comes up as one big piece. Personally I like it but I know it has to go eventually, question is what do I do with it? I can break it all up but I don't have the heart to do that, I could find a new home for it but I'd have to have visiting rights ;-). My new tank is only 75 gal so the height will be the same. Anyway, that is my dilema at the moment, what to do with an overgrown mountain :)

Any suggestions?

Here's a closer pic:

And here's a picture of it last year, even the little crypt is there in front of it :):

Cheers
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
201 Posts
gpodio said:
Well after several hours doing my yearly cleanup of one of the tanks I didn't have the heart to do what I originally set out to do. That is break up mount Everest pictured below.
I'm sorry I must admit I did laugh a lot when I saw that picture... I had a similar experience with H. zosterfolia it brought up a square foot of flourite (3.5" deep), bare glass bottom... I thought I might have trapped a fish under it! Tweezers my eye, you need a hatchet my friend :) If you are looking for a tank to put those crypts in, my wife is setting up an office tank right near Crozer Chester hospital, we would could meet up and do a scape...

Jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think your mountain is great! Standing alone it may be a bit (okay, a lot) overwhelming, but at this point you might as well go all out and add some more driftwood to balance out the composition. Maybe a thick branch that stands tall in the back left corner and slopes toward to the base of your mountain. You would loose the layout's open feeling, but you may be half way to a unique dense jungle. A little moss to add another texture?
Either way have fun.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think once the 75 arrives there is no use placing this mountain in it as it will outgrow the tank in a month or two. My other alternative is to bring it to my wife's office and place it in the 90 gallon tank where it should have a couple more inches of room to grow... Now wouldn't this look great in a 120 gal?

I need another tank :-(

Jeff, how big is that tank your wife is setting up?

Thanks
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
811 Posts
Healthy grow Giancarlo.

I have similar situation in my 55 !! tank with different varieties of Anubias but time has come for this tank and everything will be taken apart.

I would suggest playing with it still (Jeff :twisted: ). You could alway take it apart and separate into individual tanks. If you plant to keep it in this tank or any other tank, I would do the following:

- "modify" this mount so it looks more like triangle vs. round ball
- work on surrounding area.

Inspiration:

http://www.adana.co.kr/e_p31.html
http://www.adana.co.kr/e_2p15.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL!! :shock:

You told me about it, but I would've never imagined that. I had a clump of C. balansae bring up about 10lbs of Flourite once. That thing is going to tear out your whole bottom. It is interesting how the Crpyts have grown onto the wood...

If it was me--

I'd take it apart.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, the crypts haven't just grown on the wood, they have split it in more than one place! I reached under the wood to find the "big potato" and it has pretty much worked it's way into some of the caves and oddly enough, I found some small crypts growing inside the main cave where no light reaches them at all, I guess they are getting their needs met from the rest of the colony.

Jay, I like those rocks at the base of one of those tanks. I will strongly consider bringing it to the office tank where the extra height and depth will allow me to work something around it. See, I told you I needed your help to re-do the office tank ;-)

Thanks
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff, we may be able to fit the whole thing in there but I don't know if there'll be any space left for water :)

Obviously let me know if you do need anything I have.

Giancarlo Podio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts