Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a preference on the optimal diameter for a DIY reactor, to power a 75G tank @ +/-250GPH? Could be more. Bubble rate would be 5bps roughly. Wondering if 1-1/2", 2" or 3" would be ideal, thinking 2" or POSSIBLY a longer 1-1/2" or a shorter 2" but not sure.... I was thinking of making a rough copy of the dimentions of the Aquamedic one, but am not sure how to do the false gas vent..... but I am sure I could do it.

I am using a AquaMedic Reactor 1000 and am looking to DIY something I can hardline into the system. Maybe I should stick with the Aquamedic 1000, any opinions?

I guess I should add, I must have plumbed 50+ reef tanks in the past year, so my PVC skills are second to none. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to plumb this in with PVC, so it will be hard line, there is no flex that would allow me to turn it upside down. I also have not figured out the best way to bring the C02 into the reactor, as well as vent gasses as we have discussed. Any reason for the 1-1/2" other then bioballs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up a NICE piece tonight by Parker that uses a 1/4" fipt port to recieve it, it's the best on the market apparently. It is a lock type fitting that takes standard C02 tubing. It should work in the top of a T with the C02 comming in on one side, and the water comming in from the top. I thought I could use one of these for C02 in and another with a small piece of tubing and a small valve like the Aquamedic one. I suppose I could just tap a hole in the top for the port...

So you think the 1-1/2" will be more efficient then a 2" one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.