Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had chem lab today. Our lab was on light and overall was really boring...... Anyway my professor handed out little cards, called "Holographic Diffraction Grating". It was your standard 2" card and it had a 1" see-through portion in the center. In a dark room we observed different souces of light through the little card. You held it up to your eye and looked at the source light, then off to both sides of your vision you could see the light spectrum that the source light was creating. Like a rainbow floating in the air, or a few vetical lines depending on the light.

Anyway could something like this be used to determine the actual spectrum of a bulb, and possible tell us when to replace it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bulbs will tend to yellow over time (lose blue spectrum intensity) but the human eye is a poor judge of that, even with one of those simple diffraction spectrum thingies. A better way to determine when to replace bulbs is a PAR measurement, but that is expensive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thing is I don't replace my bulbs unless, A) it burns out or B) or until I get a 1-2 dark area at the base of the bulb when it is lit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts