Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I always accumilate my fish by floating them between 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. First I turn off the tank lights and float the bag unopen for the first 20 minutes. There after I add tank water to the bag in 10-15 minute increments using a measureing cup increasing the amount each time. For the last 10-15 minutes I let the bag set without adding water, then I net the fish and release them into the tank; keeping the lights off for about a hour. Also if you want you can add stress coat to the bag if the LFS does not. Remember, it is always best to use a quaratine tank for new fish.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree with the above. I usually don't float the bags quite that long unless there is a huge temp difference though (it doesn't hurt anything either). If you're just bringing them home from the store, 20 minutes usually suffices.

If you are ordering them and they've been in transit for a day or more it's best to just pour them into a net over a bucket (after floating them) and put them directly into the tank. If they've been in the bag for a while, the minute you open it and the air hits, the ammonia will activate and burn their gills, so it's easier on them to just get them into clean water once the temp is adjusted.

I agree, a Q tank is one of the most important things, and not letting any of the bag water get into your tank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
turtlehead said:
what's a good way that lessens stress and works for you?
Open bag, squirt in some Amquel. Float bag to get up to temperature, dump fish into net, right into tank. This is the "squirt and dump" technique advocated by the inventor of Amquel. Arguments for slow acclimation do appeal to my common sense but the facts don't really support it - many many very good breeders have been doing this quick squirt and dump technique for years with little to no loss. In fact, if its a fish from a seasonal area they may just breed for you after this "shock"... The idea is to get the fish out of the ammonia poisoned LFS/shipping water ASAP

Jeff

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like it all but the floating of the bag. You never know what nasties can be on it. I take water out of the tank, put it into a bucket and float there. Then adding more tank water every 15 min for 1 hour or use the airline hose drip method. I then remove the fish with a net or cup depending and introduce them after feeding the main tank, and turning the lights off for the hour the new fish were floating. I don't move decorations around as I keep very few agressive fish.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
JLudwig said:
Float bag to get up to temperature, dump fish into net, right into tank. This is the "squirt and dump" technique advocated by the inventor of Amquel. Arguments for slow acclimation do appeal to my common sense but the facts don't really support it - many many very good breeders have been doing this quick squirt and dump technique for years with little to no loss. In fact, if its a fish from a seasonal area they may just breed for you after this "shock"... The idea is to get the fish out of the ammonia poisoned LFS/shipping water ASAP

Jeff
I couldn't agree more, and after years of trying it both ways, the "get them out quick" theory is much less stressful for them.
In fact, I don't even use the Amquel squirt since I have the net and bucket ready and they are out of the bag faster than I could dump the Amquel in once the bag is opened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts