Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since making the switch to El Natural, I have had happier and healthier fish, but a harder time acclimatizing new fish.

I used to buy new fish and leave them in the bag floating in the tank for ~45 minutes and dump. This usualy results in death now, somewhat depending on the species.

Three days ago I bought a new fish (discus) to go with my existing discus and community fish (cories, loaches, platys, etc.) I put the bag in my tank and added 1/2 cup of my tank water every hour or so and dumped all after ~6 hours...... The fish died overnight.

Yesterday I tried again and this time I tested my water and that in the bag. All PH, KH, GH, and Nitrite were all equal. My nitrates were 0 and those frome LFS were high, maybr 200 PPM. I spent more time mixing water this time and made sure all the tests were equal before releasing the fish, taking about twelve hours. Today he seems ok.

I have seen from other posts that you should not introduce a fish from low nitrates to high nitrates b/c they will stress out, but is the same true going from high to low? Is it possibly something elso that is stressing out my new fish?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have not had problems with respect to the difference in nitrates, but the worst store around here only runs in the high 2 digits (well over 40, but not as high as 100).

I also test the bag water, but then I make the quarantine tank = the water in the bag. I never add new fish directly to the main tank.

I also test the TDS in the bag. One local store adds salt to their water. GH and KH will match my tap water, but the the TDS is way off.
I will first make GH and KH match, then make TDS match by adding table salt.

TDS is easy to test, I bought my meter on line for under $20USA, including shipping. It tests as if it is all salt in the water, and reads out in ppm. It tests from 0 to 9999 ppm. My brackish water tank tests into the low thousands, and all my fresh water tanks are in the low hundreds (soft water tanks) to mid hundreds (hard water tanks).
Since using this I am also more confident about moving fish around among my tanks, for example slowly changing the Q-tank water to match the main tank, then knowing when to move the fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts