Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i use an aquarium pharm. test kit and i feel its not accurate, my lfs tested my tap PH at 7.8 and i tested it at 7.4. I also am in need of a phosphate test kit do u guys have any recommendations for that? What other test kits should i get? right now i only have nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, PH.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you inject CO2, the discrepancy between your and the LFS' results may be due to the fact that the CO2 is gassing out, causing the LFS reading to be slightly higher than the one you take at home.

Also, if you want accurate test kits (and are willing to pay), then LaMotte test kits are great. I've also heard that Hach makes good, reliable test kits as well

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darkblade48 said:
If you inject CO2, the discrepancy between your and the LFS' results may be due to the fact that the CO2 is gassing out, causing the LFS reading to be slightly higher than the one you take at home.

Also, if you want accurate test kits (and are willing to pay), then LaMotte test kits are great. I've also heard that Hach makes good, reliable test kits as well
LaMatte is more than im willing to pay. Just cant justify spending that much for a test kit. My tank is non co2 injected so yeah i dont know what the deal is.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
That Pet Place aka That Fish Place is sorta local to me, been shopping there for 30 odd years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bavarian3 said:
never seent his website but they sure have alot of stuff! i came across the hagen test kits they seem to be good prices how are they?
Dunno, I use and like the AP kits.

TW

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Bavarian3 said:
hey guys, i use an aquarium pharm. test kit and i feel its not accurate, my lfs tested my tap PH at 7.8 and i tested it at 7.4. I also am in need of a phosphate test kit do u guys have any recommendations for that? What other test kits should i get? right now i only have nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, PH.
The test kits you will need for a planted tank besides the ones you have are KH & GH. For the general test like PH, KH, GH about any brand will work: TetraTest, AP, RedSea etc.. For test kits like N03 & P04 where you need more accuracy go with Lamotte for N03 & Seachem for P04.

·
Registered
157 Posts
LaMotte is the most accurate you can purchase...followed by Salifert (and much more economical). Anything else is getting you fairly close in the ballpark, but not necessarily that specific reading.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The AP NO3 and PO4 kits are every bit as accurate as the Lamotte and other high priced kits. They are just not as precise. The AP NO3 kit can report 5 or 10ppm for example (among other readings) while the LaMotte can supposedly give a reading like 7.5ppm. Does it matter? No. I can extrapolate the AP readings close enough when the color falls between the charted values so that the AP kit ends up being at most 1-2ppm off in precision. Way more precise than we really need anyway.

IMO

TW

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I disagree my AP N03 gave me a reading of 20-25ppm when the Lamotte gave me a reading of only 8.8ppm, for me that is a big differance. However with that said you can use the test kit you feel is right for you.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I think pretty much anything other than Lamotte or Hach is only going to give you a ballpark range.

I agree with TrenaC as I have had some quite different results between my Seachem NO3 and PO4 test kits and the Lamotte NO3 and PO4 kits. I tossed my Seachem kits in favor of the Lamotte's. In my experience, you get what you pay for.

Just recently I took some water into my LFS as a result of some Cardinal deaths. Their water test showed my pH at 7.6 (6.6 in the tank), NO3 at 40ppm (8.8 Lamotte) and PO4 at zero (1.5 Lamotte), KH at 13.4 dKH (7dKH using AP kit). They were using some type of Dip Stick, I don't know (and don't care) what brand as it seems it isn't accurate.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trenac said:
I disagree my AP N03 gave me a reading of 20-25ppm when the Lamotte gave me a reading of only 8.8ppm, for me that is a big differance. However with that said you can use the test kit you feel is right for you.
wow....thats a huge difference. What would u guys say the closest is to lamotte without the big price tag?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
IMO, you pay for what you get... I learned this the hard way by buying 3 differant brands all giving differant readings and one reagent always running out before the other. Since they had no refills available buying a new test kit was the only way to go. After doing this several times I could have bought a Lamotte the first time and saved money.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trenac said:
IMO, you pay for what you get... I learned this the hard way by buying 3 differant brands all giving differant readings and one reagent always running out before the other. Since they had no refills available buying a new test kit was the only way to go. After doing this several times I could have bought a Lamotte the first time and saved money.
yeah..i wonder what the guy at the lfs was using ill have to ask and see. PH is definetly somethign i cant mess with and i need to know exactly what it is (african cichlid tank). What would u recommend below lamotte if u had to?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Test the test kits if you are unsure of their accuracy.

I used; http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

to mix up a solution of 1/8 teaspoon KNO3 in 200 ml of water and dose a gallon of clean water in calculated increments for 5, 10 and 20ppm NO3. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals NO3 test kit accurately reported results that were identical to the calculations.

Not bad for a kit containing 90 tests and only $7 off the shelf at the local big box. I understand that the gadgets associated with an aquarium are part of the fun, but any insistance that only high-priced test kits will do is just wrong. It is also particularly damaging to newcomers who might forego testing altogether when mislead into believing that they have to spend so much on high priced test kits. It ain't rocket science.

IMO

TW

·
Registered
157 Posts
What would u guys say the closest is to lamotte without the big price tag?
I answered that on p. 1 of the thread.

The AP NO3 and PO4 kits are every bit as accurate as the Lamotte and other high priced kits. They are just not as precise.
Do you mind explaining the difference between accuracy and precision?

The AP NO3 kit can report 5 or 10ppm for example (among other readings) while the LaMotte can supposedly give a reading like 7.5ppm. Does it matter? No. I can extrapolate the AP readings close enough when the color falls between the charted values so that the AP kit ends up being at most 1-2ppm off in precision. Way more precise than we really need anyway.
In the reefkeeping hobby, you need results to be as accurate as possible. So yes, it DOES matter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts