Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Love your forum.
My wife just came home with two Acorus Gramineus v. Pussilus for me, 'cos I've been oh so sad...:wink:. (I was aiming for the glosso, :evil: next time I'll just sigh at the rate of the bubbles from my CO2 inj.)
Anyway, guys, if you have any info on that I'ld very much appreciate it. I would really like to know if you think it would make a good foreground plant. Any new strategies to get free plants from our wives are welcome.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I couldn't wait... I had to do it... it looks great.
I've searched and the info I got was the plant grows up to 7cm (2,5 inches?), so I placed it on the foreground. Couldn't find any info on Tropica. :roll:

·
Registered
389 Posts
According to the Krib, this is under "blacklisted" plants.

http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html#blacklist

That said, there's an entry elsewhere in the Krib where some have mentioned having kept some species of Acorus submersed for years. I'd say if what you have doesn't work out for you in the long-term, try Blyxa japonica or Blyxa aubertii, as they can be kept as true aquatics. The B. japonica (if you don't manage to kill it the way I did) will give you a similar effect as Acorus.

Mondo grass, like Acorus, is not meant to be submersed. It will degenerate faster than Acorus, I believe.

-Naomi

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again guys. Thx for the input.
Here's some info I've found at http://www.mongabay.com/fish/plants/Acorus_gramineus.htm

Acorus gramineus
COMMON NAME: Japanese Rush Plant
SYN: None
FAMILY: Araceae
RANGE: Asia; bogs in Japan
AQUASCAPE: A. gramineus var. pussilus and A. gramineus var. variegatus is a dwarf form suitable for foreground planting. A. gramineus var. intermedius is a suitable background plant.
HEIGHT: A. gramineus var. pussilus/variegatus to 4" (10 cm),A. gramineus var. intermedius to 18" (45 cm).
AH: From 10" (25 cm)
LIGHT: low to bright
WATER: pH 6.0-7.0, 2-12 dH, 59-70°F (15-21°C)
SUBSTRATE: plain gravel
P: split the rhizome
REMARKS: Because this species is a bod plant, it should be grown totally or partially emersed.
DC: 8

P.S. - Splited the rhizome and doubled the investment
All the best. :wink:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts