Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you're going to be doing several bends, you can invest in bending springs, I have several that I used for bending PVC pipe for electrical work. You just slide them in, heat and bend then pull them out with a string. Very easy and gives perfect bends up to 90 degrees.

For drilling, if you get desperate, just put the new drill bit to a piece of cement for a little while to remove the sharp edges, obviously if you have a grinder use that :) Old worn out drill bits usually do a good job with acrylic, as do worn out jig-saw blades. I don't know about drilling where the bend is though, that may get a little too thin and brittle to drill easily, specially if doing it by hand.

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
739 Posts
Never had that problem, but never tried regular springs. You usually need to pull them out with a little force but they never got stuck on me. Perhaps the spring you used was a little "stiff", these are very flexible and I'm guessing that when pulling on one end the coild expand making the outer diameter smaller, enough to pull out.

This is a UK site but just to give you an idea of what they look like:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Pvc_Index/Bending_Springs/

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
739 Posts
bharada said:
Well, I anticipated problems with the curtain rod spring as it wasn't tightly coiled like a true bending spring...but what you gonna do when the fabrication bug hits you at 8pm? :)
....start tearing down the curtains of course! :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts