Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would be hesitant to use a hot airgun or blowtorch on my aquarium.
Using the micromesh seems to be lower risk.

Here is a scratch that I got on my 35 gallon hex during moving.
I followed direction on the site listed. I used 400 grit paper to smooth the scratch.
Always using an up and down motion during sanding. Repeating the process for each of the finer grit pads. Taking pictures with a digital camera with the flash helps identify any scratches too fine to see unaided. Applied antistatic cream when sanding complete.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Polish out scratches with 600 grit, slowly reducing the courseness through 1000 and finally 2000 grit. for the finish use car colour restorer then Brasso and finally silvo silver polish (you can also use a dedicated plastic polish but they are expensive).
With regards to sanding, a point not mentioned is that it is my understanding that you should sand in a up and down motion in one direction and not a circular motion to get best results.

Additionally, I recommend you continue to finer micromesh including 4000, 6000, 8000 and finishing with 12000 grit. If you finsih with 2000 grit there will be many fine scratches and would leave a lot of work for the polish.

I think micromesh kits are brilliant but they are also expensive for what you get.
The kit that I purchased did not seem expesive. I ended up with multiple pads of each mesh and bottle of static cream in order to meet the minimum order requirement of $25. The pads seem to last well if you use them in order and do not make large jumps when going to a finer mesh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts