Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in some of the smaller Loricariidae like Ancistrus, Hypancistrus, and Otocinclus. I believe I've read that some of the larger plecs can actually scratch acrylic with their rasping teeth. Although I wouldn't want any of these larger species in a planted tank, I wonder if anyone's had experience keeping the aforementioned genera in acrylic tanks and knows if they can damage acrylic surfaces. Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I wouldn't think any of the fish you mentioned above would scratch acrylic since the inside of the tank is going to have the algae/slime coating on it, and they'd probably be rasping on that more than the acrylic.

The only acrylic tanks I have are small, so I haven't tried any of those fish in them.

Interesting question - I'm curious to hear of any experiences as well.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not noticed any scratches on my acrylic tanks from otos, hypancistrus, ancistrus or leporacanthicus - over a year.

Even with larger plecos there seems to be some residual algae coating and occasionally greenspot left on the glass which I manually remove, this is making me believe that they should be pretty safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts