Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Question about actinic lights, just as the title says. I know this has been talked about, so please don't yell at me, as I did do the search. Problem is, I can't find any definitive answers. Basically, from everything I've read, I see 2 opinions.
1. Actinic lights do absolutely nothing for freshwater plants and are only used for aesthetic purposes.
2. Actinic lights will cause algae.

I have a 20gal setup with dual-bulb setup of 65W 6,700k/10,000k. I have these lights on for 8 hours a day and I'm dosing with Seachem ferts following the dosing schedule they provided on their site.
The lighting fixture also has Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm setup, which I would like to use at night time after the daylight lights go off.

So the question is will I have problems with my tank if I do this? Does the photosynthesis continue in freshwater plants with actinic lights?

Thank you very much.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi George

Were you planning on doing a limited actinic lighting period? If not, your fish health will go down with them not having any adequate sleeping periods.

I've been running actinic over the last week as I wait for my new bulbs to come in, and I have noticed increased algae growth. I can tell my plants are not doing great under this light but its just a temporary fix for me.

My understanding is the actinic lights are not in the range for chlorophyl to utilize.
I was only planning on running them at night for a couple hours (2-4) after the normal daylight lights go off, purely for viewing purposes, because the tank looks really nice under those lights. But like I said, I was worried if that would hurt the plants or fish or cause algae.

Thanks

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Freydo, the light fixture actually has 2 night LED lights. Unfortunately, my cats chewed thru the power cable for them :) I'll get it fixed though.

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.